Car Speedometer for Custom Bicycle?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to put a nice big analog speedometer on my bike. I don't want to use a mechanical one because I have space and aesthetic issues with that (the big/ugly flexible shaft cable). They sell electrical speedos & tachs at most auto parts stores for $50. Does anyone know what I need to make it work on a bike. I realize I will have to have 12V power and somehow send an interupted signal or something?. I have no experience with the automotive gages - maybe one of you has done this before or has an idea where to start...

thanks,

Paul

I guess it could be done, but since cars usually go a lot faster than bicycles the needle isn't ever going to get out of the bottom 1/8 or so of the scale. Also most analog auto speedos I've seen don't have the greatest resolution in the 0-20 mph range.

Dennis

I was hoping I could trick the gage by sending it more signals - if there's some sort of magnetic sensor, I could mount more magnets on my hub and make the sensor think that the wheel is turning faster than it is. This way I could still use the full dial of the speedo or tach... (I was also thinking of creating a new face for the dial with numbers that go from 0 to 30 mph) Also, I'm not looking for super high accuracy - it is for a beach cruiser after all!

Thanks for the reply,

Paul

Tone Rings

My main experience is with Volvos, old and new.

They use an electronic speedo from 86 on. It has a pickup coil in the differential cover, and a "tone ring" around the spider gear housing in the differential. It spins with the ring gear.

The original design used a sheetmetal cage with square holes cut out of it, and made something like 16 pulses per revolution.

When anti-lock brakes were introduced, they needed better resolution to determine if a wheel was going to lock up, so they increased it by 4x, so the ring has 64 teeth (or 4x whatever the count is of "windows" in the old one). The ring uses cast iron teeth, little 1/8 inch tall ridges on a drum of steel pressed (I think) onto the OD of the ring gear housing.

In either case, it's an electromagnetic pickup, making a sine-wave pulse to the speedo head. For a bike, I'm sure using the unit with higher teeth count, with a speedo designed for fewer pulses, would probably give somewhat closer of a speed indication, just because most bike tires (26" anyway) are a lot larger diameter than car tires.

If you wanted, you could do all the math and figure it out for your tire sizes and that of the "donor" vehicle. That said, the speedo probably has a little potentiometer to adjust it for accuracy.

You're going to have to figure out what the speedo or inst cluster takes for connections. Get the book or wiring diagram for the car you pull the parts from.

Consider using a motorcycle speedo? At least the 91-up Harleys and probably much older Japanese bikes used electronic speedos.

Sounds like a fun, if time-consuming, project!

--=={{Rob}}==--

You might also check out some of the motorized bicycle and whizzer forums those guys all runs speedos on their bikes and like to tinker with mechanical things. When I wanna know how fast I'm going I rubberband my GPS to my handlebars, almost all of them have a speedometer feature.

Dennis

Back