Carcass

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I managed to finish the bike. Unfortunately we have relatively bad weather, so pics won't be spectacular, still better than the indoor shots.

So here is the voting pic:
IMG_20200831_090615.jpg

This is how it was when I got it:
20190212_184719.jpg

The rear wheel is mine though, for a test fit.
General concept before starting building:
IMG_20200504_212702.jpg

And a few more pics of the final build:
IMG_20200831_090615.jpg
IMG_20200831_090623.jpg
IMG_20200831_090638.jpg
IMG_20200831_090706.jpg
IMG_20200831_090727.jpg
IMG_20200831_090820.jpg
IMG_20200831_090630.jpg

I rode it, steering takes some time to get used to. Riding with coaster brake only is scary! The seating position is slammed, but acceptable.
Low for show and high for go - after the build off is over if I want to ride it I will have to raise the seat and the handlebars. Thanks to the adjustable stem I could probably keep these handlebars.

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/carcass.111028/Build thread.

A little info on the name - it was supposed to resemble a bleached by the sun carcass in the desert.
1. Credit due to the "Angelo di Ferro" bike, for the bare metal/cream tires combo - this must be where I saw it for the first time. (For those who don't know this astonishing build, when you go to the build-off rules page, it is the example photo for class 2).
2. Also huge credit to Leмad Hatter for the bolt on extension idea, which I saw a couple of months ago (when he posted an extended rat he built on FB). I don't know if he is the first who came with the idea, but his bike was the first one I saw. Amazing trick for people who lack welding skills.

Technical data - the seat is an ancient Lepper Primus. The wheels are 28" in the rear with a SRAM Spectro S7 coaster brake hub, with a 29" Continental tire (55 - 622) and 26" in the front also with Continental tire (50 - 559). The fork is from CC, 1" non threaded. The handlebars are called "loop handlebars".

Last edited:
You nailed the 'bleached in the desert sun' ! I can't remember, did you strip the whole bike and then what did you apply to the frame / parts to get 'that look'?
I like this photo , the stance and it shows off your front end better. Nice work! :thumbsup:

IMG_20200831_090638.jpg

Bart, I have visited the Netherlands, I went to Amsterdam twice. Except for the unpleasantness of the big city and the huge crowds I loved it there. I have very fond memories. It was a few years ago, I went there with my then wife. We stayed at the Fletcher hotel and it was great.
20178836.jpg

Our room (not my pics, but it looked exactly like that and with that same view as well; we were on the tenth floor I think):
18872446.jpg

Yep, that shower in the middle of the room was insanely awesome.
And that's the bar at the top of the hotel where I enjoyed some Courvoisier:
97782112.jpg

It was just a 2 hours bus fare to get there. I'd like to visit again.
I wanted to go to Zandvoort, a week or two at the beach, but the corona and new work prevented it.

I managed to finish the bike. Unfortunately we have relatively bad weather, so pics won't be spectacular, still better than the indoor shots.

So here is the voting pic:
View attachment 136391

This is how it was when I got it:
View attachment 136398
The rear wheel is mine though, for a test fit.
General concept before starting building:
View attachment 136399

And a few more pics of the final build:
View attachment 136391View attachment 136392View attachment 136393View attachment 136394View attachment 136395View attachment 136396View attachment 136397

I rode it, steering takes some time to get used to. Riding with coaster brake only is scary! The seating position is slammed, but acceptable.
Low for show and high for go - after the build off is over if I want to ride it I will have to raise the seat and the handlebars. Thanks to the adjustable stem I could probably keep these handlebars.

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/carcass.111028/Build thread.
Cool front end. Nice build

Such clean lines and bolt on hotness!
I love seeing our international builds here because I know you guys don't run across the typical vintage cruiser stuff that we can get in the states. So it always makes for cool builds that don't look cookie cutter at all. Well done brother!
CONGRATS!

Thank you, Kingfish! Thanks, Matt! It makes me very happy to receive praise from much more experienced builders than myself!
Also the support I got during the build helped me a lot to stay motivated and not give up, it also showed me that I was on the right path.
I really like the result this time, unlike last time where I did it more like to see how it is. I just used stuff I had around, but this time I had a vision, a concept, that I followed through. I had the urge to put more stuff on it - twin lamps bolted to the disk brake mount, or bobbed rear fender, or enduro front fender, or use a yellowish skirt guard as a windshield, but I wanted to keep the bike as lean as possible - as possible with the additional tubing (which is light) and the headlight (which weighs a ton), IGH and grip shifter. I wanted the frameset lines to be on display. The extension drop was tricky because I wanted this particular crankset so the bike couldn't go too low.

Very cool! Need to go check out your build thread to get a closer look at this bar/stem/fork. Great work!!

Nice!

Latest posts

Back