Chain and sprocket problems....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You adjusted the wheel back and tightened it? Make sure the chain is on the sprockets good and leave just a little slack, then tighten down the axle nuts and it shouldn't loosen up. If it's still a problem, post up a pic of it.

Sounds like your washers are slipping on your new paint because they are worn out. They should have a diamond cut area which will grab on to the frame. Follow this guys advice or remove the washer from another bike.

clamdigger said:
Consider Wald 318 rear axle washers.

axsepul said:
Sounds like your washers are slipping on your new paint because they are worn out. They should have a diamond cut area which will grab on to the frame. Follow this guys advice or remove the washer from another bike.

clamdigger said:
Consider Wald 318 rear axle washers.

I just checked them today and they dont have the diamond studded plateing, only what appears to be little engraved swooshes. My other question is, do they go where the nut goes on the outside, or where the sprocket and axle are at on the inside? Cos when I first bought the gosh darn thing they were on the nut side not the axle side.

Consider what they do and the clamp down effect. You gotta keep the chainline pretty close in this, but I prefer a washer on each side of the dropout. Ive run a thinnish flat (no aggressive surface) on the inside with the agr. one under the outer nut with success. Just having the inner nut surface as a clamp point against the dropout never seemed like enough to me.

Single speed setups are prone to this problem because the pedal pressure required to start moving a relatively tall gear is being transferred through the chain to the rear axle. Excessive tightening to prevent slippage also can eventually "wipe" or squash the dropout surface so that it's no longer flat. You gots ta have serrated flange nuts and/or (preferred) washers on the outside. Sometimes it can help to add them on the inside if your dropouts are sloppy, i.e. squashed or overly large.

gcrank1 said:
Consider what they do and the clamp down effect. You gotta keep the chainline pretty close in this, but I prefer a washer on each side of the dropout. Ive run a thinnish flat (no aggressive surface) on the inside with the agr. one under the outer nut with success. Just having the inner nut surface as a clamp point against the dropout never seemed like enough to me.

My old man took a look at it and said that was the solution. Also he said that the sprocket on the wheel wasnt tight enough so the nuts on each side were going different directions instead of going the same direction. He tightened them put washers on each side, tightened it completely and now it runs like a charm :)

Latest posts

Back