Chain Tension

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a 18 speed Huffy mtn bike for a lady. She wants me to pick a medium gear and leave the bike one speed.Derailer works fine so picking a decent gear is no trouble then I will simply tape the shift handle. PROBLEM.......the chain skips bad on the rear. How can I tighten the chain its fairly loose. ? The derailer can be pulled rearward by hand but springs back foreword keeping chain loose. Should I rig up a spring to keep derailer pulled back?

The spring on the derailer might be bent or broken? You might be able to bend the spring on the derailer a little where it will apply more tension on the chain.

also use the H/L screws to keep the derailer in one position. Tighten both till they put you in the required gear.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... derailleur
der_parts.gif

the "H" screw limits how far out, or away from the spokes the deraleur can travel, the "L" screw limits how far in or toward the spokes the deraleur can travel.

we used to say "houter" and "linner" instead of outer and inner adjustments.

if the chain is skipping like it wants to shift but not quite, could be any of the following issues...

cable tension issue, too tight or too loose

could be stretched out cable or improperly set cable tension.

could also be bent deraleur hanger or bent/damaged deraleur...

could be stiff link in the chain

good luck
could be worn out (stretched) chain or excessive wear on the gears

I took an old spring with strong tension hooked to the derailer then stretched it rear and upwards hooking in a frame hole where a rack would bolt. It keeps the chain tight enough and works ok. No shifting as I put the bike in 6th gear and will be fine. Doubt they ever ride it anyway.

Latest posts

Back