Chain tensioners

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The CWC Roadmaster I got a few days ago is missing the chain tensioners in the rear drop outs. A)are they really necessary and B)what are the dimensions on those so I can come up with some sort of replacement?

And yeah, I know I've been posting a lot of questions but I'm new to doing anything other than basically painting and cleaning up more modern cruisers.

Yes you can get-by without them,but hardware stores(like tractor supply) have long allen head bolts that look really cool in the rear facing drops---and they do help in keeping the hub from slipping forward.

Yep, some Hardware Stores have Chrome and Stainless ones too. 8)
frameteam2003 said:
Yes you can get-by without them,but hardware stores(like tractor supply) have long allen head bolts that look really cool in the rear facing drops---and they do help in keeping the hub from slipping forward.

Most chain tensioners were 24tpi and I believe.. 1/4"? I'd have to check. But! I have found that CWC did use a proprietary threading of 20tpi for some time. So make sure to try both before committing to anything.

Latest posts

Back