Check out these $150 shipped Fatbike frames!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
BikesDirect (whoever makes these in china or wherever they have them made) screwed up manufacturing and they are liquidating these Gravity Knockout Frames for $150 shipped. http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=2961
knockoutframes01.JPG

But there's a catch!

Description: Gravity Knockout Fat Bike Frame and Fork

Okay, here's your chance to build a fatbike on a budget. There is a small rub though....and it's an actual rub. Once built the chain rubs the inside of the drive side dropout when on the smallest cog on a 8 speed cassette. This is a factory design flaw that can be fixed by adjusting your limiting screw so the chain can't go into the smallest cog or you could build it up as a single speed or you could do something else we have not thought of.

This frame has a factory warranty against defects but the chain clearence issue will be excluded.
This frame comes with a fork, headset and stem already assembled. It also comes with a quick release seat post clamp.

Frame: 6061 Aluminum - Replaceable Rear Derailleur Hanger
Fork: Rigid with disc mounts, fender eyelets on dropouts and three sets of side braze on's down each blade
Rear Spacing: 170.0 mm
Front Spacing: 135.0mm
Sizes: 14", 16", and 18"
Bottom Bracket: 68mm X 100mm English Thread
Seat Post Clamp: 31.8 mm ( included)
Seat Post Size: 27.2
Headset: Cane Creek - Threadless - 1 1/8 inch VP A71

the also have full 80mm 26x4 wheelsets with tires for $249 shipped.
http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=2946

boriswheels01.JPG

I thought a lot of people here would be interested.

I bet a solid rear axle and a 2mm spacer on the drive side would allow the chain to clear frame on the small cog. Putting the wheel in would be a little tricky, but not too bad.

Would this frame be a nice swap to the dolomite? Or should I replace my B3AST fame with this (3 speed internal hub)? Not sure if the beast is worth frame swapping but opinions help!

Thoughts?

Also, anybody know what size of frames the Mongoose Beast/Dolomite come with? The gravity fame choices are 14", 16", 18". Would like something similar in size.

im not 100% sure the bottom brackets would swap between frames. I think the beast and Dolo have a wider shell. But maybe spacers could make it work.

I've been in communications with them and they have a bb for an additional $35.00

I bought a mint green 14" model....I'm using spare/used parts to put a 3rd bike / loaner bike together...I have to buy another wheel, but that's only because I at least want the front/rear wheels to match....

for a rear hub, I'm going to use a Sturmy Archer 2-speed Kickback from a Sun Spider for now.

Mine will be here Tuesday

Last edited:
Mine got here yesterday (shipped from the DFW area in TX)..

The frame looks better than most big-box bikes, but not as well crafted as my Origin8...for the price, it's AWESOME....it's going to make a killer little bike that I'm going to put together from extra parts and used parts. I'll have to reply again thru Tapatalk to attach the pictures.

The last two pics are of the rear hub area...it looks a little tweaked just by eyeballing it....once I put a wheelset in there everything should square up I hope.

I'm going to put some kind of a IGH in the rear...I'll have to buy another one of those orange wheels (I've got the original front one from my wife's sun crusher from when I upgraded it to disc brakes, I think the Mint Green & Metallic Orange are going to look pretty awesome myself.

My buddy got the Gravity Deadeye Monster complete from bikesdirect.com, which looks to be a similar to the knockout but with rear-entry dropouts and different colors/size run. He's super happy with the purchase, and it looks to be a pretty good deal, overall. For $400, you get the complete, which is the same as the frameset/wheels although the "Boris" wheels at $250 look to be nicer than the oem ones on the deadeye complete....

I think the mint green with orange wheels looks killer. What is the OLD spacing on your kickback hub? Are you concerned about the chain bumping the tire once it's built?

I think that the Sturmy Archer SC2 will work, it comes stock on the Sun Spider AT (which my LBS has been upgrading to Shimano Nexus hubs) so he's got a ton of them laying around....I'm going to put the Devist8ors on it (which came on my Origin8 Crawler) and I don't think it'll rub...if it does, then I'm not sure what I'll do, but I will be mocking up the rear before spending the $$ to have a hub laced into a new wheel.

I had my sniping program to bid on this new take-off crankset on ebay to bid at 52.50 with 2 seconds left to go..

needless to say I lost and I'm a little bent about that :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111555053551?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Uh-oh...
From the Sun site, the stock rear hub is:
"Sturmey Archer S2C 2-Speed Kick Shift W/CB 122mm Frame/117mm Hub"
And your new frame is spaced at 170mm....
You could theoretically space it out, but then your coasterbrake arm is gonna be a far ways off from the chainstay...
You can bend it, or you can try to stack washers, but the former has its limits as far as how much bend is realistic, and the latter is likely to result in the CB bolt shearing off, right when you need it....

Regardless, you can probably make it work.... worst case scenario, you end up lacing a different hub in. No big deal, right? At the very least, you got a great deal on the frame, fork, and rims.... and the front hub spacing @135mm matches your fork!

Uh-oh...
From the Sun site, the stock rear hub is:
"Sturmey Archer S2C 2-Speed Kick Shift W/CB 122mm Frame/117mm Hub"
And your new frame is spaced at 170mm....
You could theoretically space it out, but then your coasterbrake arm is gonna be a far ways off from the chainstay...
You can bend it, or you can try to stack washers, but the former has its limits as far as how much bend is realistic, and the latter is likely to result in the CB bolt shearing off, right when you need it....

Regardless, you can probably make it work.... worst case scenario, you end up lacing a different hub in. No big deal, right? At the very least, you got a great deal on the frame, fork, and rims.... and the front hub spacing @135mm matches your fork!

I'm sitting here at work (Im a mud engineer on a drilling rig) and have nothing to do but read online and buy stuff....and now I'm thinking about either going with a Shimano Nexus 7 or similar IHG, or a conventional cassette type rear axle.....too many decisions....I'm just trying to keep it cheap cheap cheap..

I wish I would have bought one of those Nuvinci N360 hubs that someone was selling for 100/shipped on ebay that were all NIB about 6 months ago....at the time I had no use for it, and my Crawler already has a Nuvinci N360...

I'd look hard at a SS or a derailer set-up. IGHs are great, but most of them are based on mechanisms that prevent the home-mech from swapping in a longer axle. The "knockout" is spaced at 170mm; you need to add in another 6mm or so for the dropouts themselves, plus enough hanging out on either end for the nutz. Basically, a Nexus 8 or a NuVinci won't have enough real-estate on the stock axle, and longer replacement axles aren't available....even if they were, you'll have the add'l challenge of chainline and brake installation. Derailer and SS bikes are much easier to widen out, as they tend to take regular m10 or 3/8" axles...

Best of both worlds, of course, would be the Sturmey-Archer SX-RK3-- spaced at 170mm from the factory, with a disc mount. http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/sx-rk3 These can be hard to come by, but tend to sell for about $100 to $150 when available. In any case, you'll need something to hold chain tension if you're running any kind of singlespeed or IGH....

Latest posts

Back