Chopper Fork Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 1950 JC Higgins 26" straight bar frame and would like to put a Jesse James Chopper bike front end on it. What might be involved for some of you who have completed this process?
The headset is approx 7.25" from cap to cap and the Higgins is approx. 6" cap to cap. Before I tear the bike apart I would like to have an idea of what I might be getting in to.

DSC02163.jpg

DSC02162.jpg

It looks like a typical "triple tree" setup. If so, you should be able to loosen the clamps and slide the legs down to the proper distance. The threadless bar clamp should work fine, you'll either have 1 1/4" extra steer tube sticking up, or cut it off. All this assumes the bearing races will fit your frame :? , or the bearings will fit the existing races, which would be the first thing to check. :wink: Looking again, you may be able to slide the steer tube down as well, it depends on the whether or not the inner race is "shouldered".

deorman said:
It looks like a typical "triple tree" setup. If so, you should be able to loosen the clamps and slide the legs down to the proper distance. The threadless bar clamp should work fine, you'll either have 1 1/4" extra steer tube sticking up, or cut it off. All this assumes the bearing races will fit your frame :? , or the bearings will fit the existing races, which would be the first thing to check. :wink: Looking again, you may be able to slide the steer tube down as well, it depends on the whether or not the inner race is "shouldered".

Thank. That is what I was hoping for. I guess I'll dig in and find out.

Start taking things apart and checking fit. I installed that front fork setup on my Western Flyer and it worked fine. If you do this do you want to sell that tank off of the chopper bike? If so contact me at [email protected]

Latest posts

Back