CHROME handle bars and wheels foggy/surface rust dots FIX?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the best way to reconditon foggy chrome handle bars and wheels w/ tiny surface rust dots?

i was told steel wool would do the job...

but wouldn't that ruin the finish?

somebody please help a noob!

thanks in advance!

deorman said:
Probably automotive. I recommend Eagle 1 wadding polish (Nevrdull? Evrbrite?), you may be able to skip the steel wool. Don't know if they have it at Walmart.

awesome thanks!

man i use BARKEEPERS FRIEND its a powder ...toothbrush n water ...works awsome and dosent hurt the chrome ..just shine it up when ur done removing rust ...ill post pics of a wheel i just cleaned ..u will be amazed ...mike

mikesbikes36 said:
man i use BARKEEPERS FRIEND its a powder ...toothbrush n water ...works awsome and dosent hurt the chrome ..just shine it up when ur done removing rust ...ill post pics of a wheel i just cleaned ..u will be amazed ...mike

sweet... i spent allll night with steel wool on my handle bars and wheels... then polish with never dull

handlebars seem to be pretty much shot... i mean... they turned out ok i guess, but not great...

the wheels turned out great... but the spot where the spokes meet the wheel seemed to be impossible!

where can i find BARKEEPERS FRIEND? maybe thatll do the trick...

Like others have said, 0000 steel wool and Neverdull wadding polish is my tried and true method.

For cleaning the area around the spokes, I use brass 'toothbrushes' 'cause they're softer than the steel ones (obviously). You can get them at the hardware store (maybe even a dollar store), I get mine in bulk at swap meet for about 50 cents a piece.
You'll find the brushes have many other cleaning uses like bearings, cups, threads, etc...

drabe said:
Like others have said, 0000 steel wool and Neverdull wadding polish is my tried and true method.

For cleaning the area around the spokes, I use brass 'toothbrushes' 'cause they're softer than the steel ones (obviously). You can get them at the hardware store (maybe even a dollar store), I get mine in bulk at swap meet for about 50 cents a piece.
You'll find the brushes have many other cleaning uses like bearings, cups, threads, etc...

thanks... looks like ill be headed to the hardware store tomorrow for some sweet toothbrushes!

ok got pics 2day ....here is what i started with !!!
img1279780200650.jpg

img1279780201214.jpg

after some of this good stuff
img1279839133603.jpg

img1279839133114.jpg

img1279839133410.jpg

just a little elbow grease ...looks dam good if ya ask me !!! mike

Just moments ago I used aluminum foil to get the surface rust off the handle bars. Worked better than I would have thought.

Latest posts

Back