Chrome Molly

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won the race! Sure, the other guy didn't know we were racing, but this bike goes well in high gear. I calculated a 54/74 (correction) gear index range with my setup. I can ride this bike all day. The SA shifted smoothly with no problems.

4 Apr 22 SBMA.jpg

4 APR 22 SBMA2.jpg

4 Apr SBMA3.jpg

4 Apr 22 SBMA4.jpg

Last edited:
Now that it's dry season, I planned on riding a few times a week at least. It's a 10 mile trip to where I ride, nothing but mountains and traffic near home. On the old Navy base, the strip along the resorts and hotels is the best place to ride.
Now it's raining everyday for the next week.
I had to change to a big seat because I'm a senior citizen now. Also changed all the blue accents to black. Had to add a bell to stay legal, along with wearing a helmet. Traffic laws are upheld on the old base, (Subic Bay Freeport Zone), but once out the gate, it's a free for all.

9 Apr 22.jpg

I wrapped the bars and put the knobbies back on. With a 39/19 cog setup, I have gear inches of 54 and 73. With the pedal straps it should do well on the trails. I just need to find some trails.

22 Nov 22 gravel.jpg

Had to add a bell to stay legal, along with wearing a helmet. Traffic laws are upheld on the old base, (Subic Bay Freeport Zone), but once out the gate, it's a free for all.
So is that just base rules or is that law? I forget how blessed we are in the states with pretty much no restrictions on bicycles.

The freeport zone or SBMA is still referred to as "being on base", even though the military bases have been gone for decades. That area still has guards at the entrances, but they don't stop to check IDs, just enforce the current laws. The laws are the same "offbase", but not enforced. Traffic tickets are written frequently in the freeport zone and if I ride my bike too fast on a downhill they would be happy to fine me for speeding. It's a good revenue generator, but they don't have speed traps, enough people drive carelessly to make the ticket quota. It does make for a safer place to ride a bike though.
A lot of bike clubs ride here, the long road around the airfield is good for races, but was closed to bikes because of unsanctioned races. It might be opened up again, it's my favorite as it's flat the whole way. I rode my bike to work on the flight line back in the 80's when I was serving in the Navy.

1669101282333.png

They had the Taiwan springers on sale so I bought one. 2500 pesos, about 46 bucks. It's better quality than the last one I got a few years ago on Amazon. I tried it out to match the chrome and added a layback seat post and the original 22 tooth cog that came with the SA kick back hub. The gears are like first and second on a three speed hub. Then I changed the tires to whitewalls. Band brake on the front, coaster rear. It's already spring here with the temps hitting upper 80's so I'll test ride it tomorrow morning.
08 Feb 23 a.jpg

They had the Taiwan springers on sale so I bought one. 2500 pesos, about 46 bucks. It's better quality than the last one I got a few years ago on Amazon. I tried it out to match the chrome and added a layback seat post and the original 22 tooth cog that came with the SA kick back hub. The gears are like first and second on a three speed hub. Then I changed the tires to whitewalls. Band brake on the front, coaster rear. It's already spring here with the temps hitting upper 80's so I'll test ride it tomorrow morning.View attachment 224180
I've always liked your Chrome Molly. This is my favorite iteration of it yet. Well done!

The front was a little too low for me, so I got a longer 6" bolt and raised the height by making the spring longer. I used a couple thick washers and a rubber grommet to lengthen the area and used the same spring that came with it. Now it's just at the right height for my liking.
The opposite can also be done on these springers, lower the front by getting a shorter spring and a shorter bolt. That also puts the front wheel farther forward.

13 Feb 23 stance.jpg

13 Feb 23 springer.jpg

Last edited:
What do you do to make a springer springier? My Phantom has very little visible travel. Do I back he adjustment off?
Check it to see it's able to move freely. The pivot bolt might need loosened if it's overtightened. That's the only spot that should see movement.
You may want to take the bolt out and lube it. On those I just snug up the bolt so there's no play in the arms.

1676291266509.png

So is that just base rules or is that law? I forget how blessed we are in the states with pretty much no restrictions on bicycles.
In the Netherlands a bell is mandatory as well.
In Germany front brakes are mandatory.

Awesome bike, love the chrome!

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Isabel...
Isabel who?
Isabel necessary on a bicycle?

Sorry
Where I ride it is. People, cars, trikes, cats, dogs, and chickens are all out in the street. I'd prefer one of those bells that works off a roller on the front tire but I can't find any of those. I would mount two of them for more effect.
1676387695883.png

I had an extra disc brake from a set I picked up for my other ongoing build. So, with an adapter I'm going to put a disc brake on my springer.
It comes with a metal strap like a coaster brake to hold it on along with the front axle, but I want it even sturdier. So I lined it up and marked a hole to drill in the fork arm. The adapter needed to be flattened to work.
31 Mar 23 disc5.jpg

31 Mar 23 disc3.jpg
31 Mar 23 disc1.jpg
31 Mar 23 disc2.jpg

I've got a new set of handlebars coming today, so I'll line up everything and see how it works.

Latest posts

Back