Citrus Gel Paint Stripper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stripped the paint from 2 frames this week-end. I used a spray can of Aircraft stripper on one of them, and didn't like it from a safety standpoint. Not good to have that stuff floating around in the air IMHO.

Anyway, Home Depot has a Citrus Gel stripper that I also gave a try. It worked well for me. I painted it on with a cheap brush, and it's thick and easy to control, and not get all over everything. It takes awhile to work and doesn't bubble up the paint very much, but the paint becomes soft and you just scrape it off. I used an old pocket knife as a scraper. (I tried to find a link to it on the HD website, but didn't find it online.)

The instructions say that you can use a stripper wash to get the remaining paint and gel off, but I didn't have any, so after washing it down with a water hose, I used my angle grinder with a wire brush to buff off what little I didn't scrape off. The wire wheel got the rust spots in the process too.

Latest posts

Back