Cleaning tire tread?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do some of use for cleaning road grime off tire tread? Cream, brick red, brown colored tires in question. Think show bikes.

ndaway said:
I know its a hassle but the only thing that works really good for me is to unmount them and take them to the car wash and use their tire and engine cleaner setting then the high pressure soap and rinse
OK OK, so what do you really use?

I start with a plastic bristle scrub brush sold in the grocery store, " Mr Clean " brand and full strenghth Simple Green cleaner. Keep in mind,when cleaning any surface,that any scratches will collect and hold dirt in the future.If that does not work I switch to a brass bush sold for pot scrubbing that has like a thousand very fine wires.They sell soft brass brushes like this and call them suede cleaning brushes.Touch up, like after rolling the bike across a floor can be done with a Clorox or simular pre-moistened disinfecting wipe.

im a clean-freak, and clean my bikes after every ride. Whitewalls MUST be clean, but my red and white tires, well, the tread is dirty. Keeping them clean is , well, useless.Did ya Build it to ride or show?

ndaway said:
I know its a hassle but the only thing that works really good for me is to unmount them and take them to the car wash and use their tire and engine cleaner setting then the high pressure soap and rinse

If you're going to unmount them, it might be easier just to have second set of tires for show.

My first set of cream tires are Duros and they got dirty fast. Then changed to cream Fat Franks and they seem to resist the dirt more. I think the Duros are softer rubber. But I like the dirty tread look on mine anyway so I only clean the sides.

Voyager Al said:
im a clean-freak, and clean my bikes after every ride. Whitewalls MUST be clean, but my red and white tires, well, the tread is dirty. Keeping them clean is , well, useless.Did ya Build it to ride or show?
I have a couple bikes that have been ridden that are going to a show. Seems like someone mentioned using Windex as a tire cleaner. Not sure if that is safe or compatible with the rubber compounds though.
I guess a second "show set" might be the best answer for mint looking tires.

Latest posts

Back