Cleaning Up Old paint/Decals-Jc Higgins Jetflow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have to work around the paint and clean the chrome-Gotta know what would clean that the best too...
But i know there is how tos-but no really detailed hows...Theres a thick layer of dirt and grime on the bike-i sprayted it alittle with WD-40 to give it a temporary Shine. I dont know how to keep the decals in good shape as i clean...!

And i dont think there is going to be a way to save the fenders.

Im thinking the parts with thick rust here and there will get an acid bath-the chrome that is DECENT with SOME thick spots of rust will more than likely get 0000 Steel wool and WD-40...Unless im told otherwise

For painted parts-Wash it...Soap and water...Then Polishing compound-avoiding decals

What do you guys think?

IMG_5668.jpg

IMG_5671.jpg

Duuuude, you've got your work cut out for you. The good news is you've got the makings of a fantastic looking bike there. You've pretty much got it covered for ideas on how to clean er up. Definitely stay away from the decals. I've still got boxfulls of Q-Tips that students threw out at the end of the year when I worked at a local college that I use for all kinds of fine tune cleaning. Looks like about 5% product and 95% elbow grease. This is the kind of clean up I love. It will be totally rewarding when it's done. It's kind of like a woman, you get into all the little nooks and crannies and you'll know more about her than anyone possibly could. I envy you. Take your time and detail the crap out of it. If the polishing compound goes a little slow in some of the grimier painted areas(like near the front of the tank) I've used Turtle Wax rubbing compound sparingly to balance out the color from one end to the other - sits right beside the Turtle Wax polishing compound in Wally World Auto Dept. It will take a little paint off along with the crud. Have fun and be sure to post pics - start a thread in "Bike Builds".

Latest posts

Back