Clover Lane April 10, 1938

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything one thing ever gave me inspiration for a bicycle build it is this photograph of my father.
That's him at twelve riding out of the driveway on a cycle that has had me fascinated for many years.
But here is where I need your help! What did my dad and his brothers have? What is this wonderful cycle?

Here is what I know for sure. The photograph was taken on April 10, 1938, The brothers bought it used
and shared it to deliver their Star Telegram newspapers in Fort Worth. They dressed well but don't let that fool ya.
These depression kids worked hard to buy a bike several years old and my dad and his brothers were no exception.
That puts us at 1935 or earlier.

Someone recognize this cycle. I just want my dad to ride on down Clover Lane.

File0004.jpg

Thanks & Ride On
Charles

It looks to be a 'camelback' frame, with a "bent" top tube, and no middle tube. The sweetheart style chainring makes me thing Colson, though it could be a Snyder, Westfield/Columbia, or even a Schwinn. -Adam

Looks like an early Columbia/Westfield :D Cool picture by the way :wink:

Great call on the bent top tube... I can see that now! Looked at images from old sales ad's on this forum and thought it looked like
a "Black Beauty" but with different bars and missing a few parts. Even at hi-rez with the aid of a jewelers loop the badge is hidden.
Thank you for the comments guy's. Really means a lot to me. Looking forward to building "Clover Lane" a tribute bike.

Ride On
Charles

Not sure there Gary. That short tube makes the photograph though... you look towards it. Bike has more magic than Narnia!

Now that I really look I think your on to something. A twelve year old kid would not dwarf a 26 like that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fyavorsky/ ... 878549244/

Look here Charles...looks like a pre war Colson frame and front fork match and the crank gear match. When I was looking at the badge area I thought it had a waterfall badge on it thats Ive made over 12 of now that were for Colsons but after turning that picture every shade of gray to see what it was this is my best guess.

Terry

Terry

So flattered & proud u took such interest in dads ol bike. U da man!
And one good turn deserves another...
...We will be making two of those badges u did the concept for.
A guy I ride with wants one exactly like the one u will be making for my Elgin. :mrgreen:

Thanks
Charles

P.S.
The shape of Jones and Son logo badge RULES!
That's why I choose it's shape for my logo badge. 8)

Latest posts

Back