Coarse File

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I had horses. They sell a coarse file to trim their hooves. I tried it on my welds.
Normally I use a flap disk on a 4'' grinder. The problem is it will dip out the tubing and then you
have to put bondo on it to get it back flat again. I tried on this last build to use a file. Its more
work at first , but it will stay flat and then there is no need for bondo. I was happy with the results.
So if your trying to figure out a way to grind down your welds and not mess up the tubing...try a file.

I've been preaching about files and metalwork for years. I wonder how many people actually know how to correctly use a file :?:
Basically it goes like this. The slower the tool, the more precise your work will be. But we live in a nano second society, so "grab a grinder and be done with it!" Is the motto nowadays.
I'll still use my hands every chance I get and if it takes longer. So be it.

Yeah Sensor I was sanding flat spots in all my tubing. then I spent lots of time trying to
fill them back up to make them look smooth again. I had my fab guy tig that fork tube extension
on to the original. He did it good , but it still needed a little finessing . I used a file and it looks
like a thin black line that is hardly visible. I won't flap dents in anything else from now on. I'm
a changed man. :wink:

I had a teacher that told me, "a file is the most presice cutting tool ever invented, most people aren't very precise!"
Yes there is a certain way you use a file and way to hold it.

Your preaching to the choir brother! Get yourself a rat tail file to go around those head tube welds.
100_4131_zps1db16f7e.jpg

Latest posts

Back