Coast King

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, they full story behind this bike can be found under "Fresh Finds." To sum it up, found the bike in the woods, completely rusted solid. Then I decided to make a really fast bike out of it. It's a Coast King frame, when done it's going to have a repop Schwinn Springer, Velocity Deep V wheels, and a big Monark sprocket for high speed riding.

As found:
100Acre.jpg

Back in my dorm:
DSCN0519.jpg

Wheels (just laced a Hi Stop coaster into the rear last night!):
DSCN0502.jpg

I went home for a night this weekend, ended up staying up late giving this thing a complete tear down. Cut off the stem, then while using a pipe wrench and long pipe (for added leverage) ended up ripping the fork in half. That nut wasn't moving. Realized that one of the pedals was welded to the crank because all the threads had been stripped out of the crank. And I straightened the frame and welded up the rear chainstay (made an insert to fit in the chainstay, cross drilled the chainstay prior to putting the insert in to provide areas to weld the insert in, then slid both sides of the frame over the insert and welded up the seam. Should be plenty strong), dropouts, and a few other areas that were shaky.

Bearings (did I mention this thing is rusty?)
DSCN0529.jpg

Fork (leverage rules, and the fork was trash anyways):
DSCN0532.jpg

All tore down, prior to welding:
DSCN0534.jpg

Fixed, straightened:
DSCN0536.jpg

Mock up with springer (ignore rear wheel...)
DSCN0535.jpg

Dang that was a long post.

looks better than some bikes ive seen in the woods! :lol:

Nope, not painting this one. The tank isn't going to come off (except for in pieces due to rust) so I'm going to run it as is.

Yesterday I picked up all the hardware for the bottom bracket, so now I have the cranks and sprocket installed. I also picked up headset hardware, but unfortunately it's not the right size. The headtube in my frame has an ID of 1 3/8", and the bearing cups I picked up had an OD of 1 1/8". So now to search for that...

Kind of a roller now. Finally got the bottom bracket hardware, never would of thought it would be as hard to find as it was. Should be getting a headset for it later today. I don't know about that springer, it almost looks a little big for the front of the bike, and I think it takes away from the racer look. I'm thinking about snagging some old Varsity forks instead. The tires are my roomates old cyclocross tires, he got them from a shop in Seattle who had them sitting around in the back room, apparently they were NOS from the late '80s.

I'm stoked to get this done, it's going to be fast as heck.

DSCN0545.jpg

DSCN0547.jpg

After looking at those photos, dang, that springer has got to go.

Well I've been riding this thing as a daily commuter for about...shoot two weeks now! All I need is a photo...

And it's fast as heck, 52-18 gearing.

Latest posts

Back