Coaster brakes... what am I doing wrong?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I took apart my wheel with the junk hub the other day, and I can NOT get it back together. I'm pretty good about reassembling things when I see how they were taken apart... however, the guts just fell out when I tipped the wheel. I tried putting it back together, but nothing fits. Not the bearing on the side opposite the sprocket, not the barrel, not the pads, nothing seems to fit no matter which way I put them together.

Help a coaster brake noob. Thanks in advance.

i start with and empty hub, throw the driver with the bearing in it, then thread the clutch onto the driver from the other side, then hold the brake side of the hub pointing up, slide the brake pads in place, then drop in the axle with the brake cone assembly already on it through the hub, wiggle it until you feel the cone drop in place between the brake pads. flip it over and put the coaster bearing in place and thread the cone nut on. if youve pulled the axle completely out of it you may have to play with the spacing a couple times if your picky about it. you got to kind of hold it like a sandwich the whole time so nothing slips out of place. helps to have the parts greased up before you throw it back together too.

I also had trouble the first time I tried to fix a coaster brake hub. It went in the junk pile because I could figure it out. i probably was going in the wrong side. Here's a video of some hubs: click on the 3rd one, the coaster hub.

http://nirve.com/support/videos.asp

The easy way I do it...(Dont unbolt the brake arm from the axle)

Mark either hub side with a sharpie pen (you will need that mark as reference to put it back together)

Work from the drive side

Lay all the parts out side by side in the order you took them off

Clean all the parts (I prefer gas)

Get every trace of old grease out (bearings too)

Clean the inside of the hub

Inspect all parts

Pack the bearings with grease and put a smearing on all internal parts

Grease the inside of the hub and the brearing races

Wash your hands (heh)

Assemble from your reference mark you made on the hub earlier

Wipe your hands

Adjust the drive brearing for side play

DONE

MagicRat said:
Mark either hub side with a sharpie pen (you will need that mark as reference to put it back together)

What are you marking...the hub or the axle? Gary

The outside of the hub.

Sorta like ...

<B (brake)

>D (drive)

OR just try to remember...The flat side of the inside of the hub is where the brake shoes go (brake arm side)

Thats the left side as youre looking at it from the back.

i also thought you were marking the axle, to keep the original amount of thread on each side. the only one i ever rebuilt so far, i kept using pics from park tools website as a reference. or, take your own pics as you disassemble it. but i see what you mean about marking the hub. i coulda sworn both sides were the same when i took it apart! :oops:

Thats why you should never DO NOT unthread the brake arm from the axle...That way you only have the drive side bearing adjustment to contend with.

(It takes up the slack for both.)

BUT if you already removed the brake arm from the axle all is not lost.(but uh its gonna take a little bit more than the paitence of a Saint for this)...

You must end up with the same amount of axle threads showing past each side of the axle nuts once its installed on the bike.

I've made up curse words doing just that.

It takes about "forever" but when I/you finally get it right...we get to stand back and give ouselves a well deserved ATTA BOY!

Latest posts

Back