Columbia 🐪 CamelBack - ‘21 2n1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
If I actually continue on this course I’d like blow my Westfield Columbia Camelback apart and rebuild it.
Maybe it gets pretty instead of pretty rusty, just short of a restoration. Have a new set of bars for it one way or the other.
IMG_3364.jpeg

I’m including the original find and build link from a few years back.
Rear wheel needs rebuilding and some parts will disappear. Might get paint I need to explore the existing paint.

Previous general build link…
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/westfield-built-camelback-1934-maybe-1921.107463/page-1
Any objections???

Last edited:
Based on serial numbers and geometry this camelback could have been a 1921 based on the M8 serial number and would have had 28” tires. The “M” prefixed serial number was again used in 1934 where both 26” and 28” wheel models were available. The coffin crank would have been incorrect for ‘21.
There are comments and discussions in the old find/build thread attached in 1st post.
I need to get this bike out of storage and haul it home.

Last edited:
Thoughts are rolling in…
IMG_3365.jpeg

IMG_3374.jpeg
IMG_3373.jpeg
IMG_3376.jpeg

Last edited:
That front suspension is a new one for me. This should be an interesting build!

RaT oN~!

That front suspension is a new one for me. This should be an interesting build!

RaT oN~!
Goes back to 1889 by Pope Manufacturing Co.

And so it begins…maybe, depends on what cooperates in coming loose.
IMG_3377.jpeg
IMG_3378.jpeg
IMG_3379.jpeg
IMG_3380.jpeg

Well it’s pretty much apart, lots of cleanup ahead. The paint is pretty much gone except for front triangle. So I either leave it ratty or strip it, primer and paint. I’d always sorta liked the gold color paint with black trim, we’ll see. I guess it’s a blank slate now.
IMG_3381.jpeg
IMG_3382.jpeg
IMG_3383.jpeg
IMG_3384.jpeg
IMG_3385.jpeg
IMG_3387.jpeg
IMG_3388.jpeg

I had painted the front rim and respoked the wheel. I need to go through the rear hub and redo spokes to match the front, the rear hub doesn’t have much chrome left.

Last edited:
Well it’s pretty much apart, lots of cleanup ahead. The paint is pretty much gone except for front triangle. So I either leave it ratty or strip it, primer and paint. I’d always sorta liked the gold color paint with black trim, we’ll see. I guess it’s a blank slate now.View attachment 231134View attachment 231135View attachment 231136View attachment 231137View attachment 231138View attachment 231139View attachment 231140
I had painted the front rim and respoked the wheel. I need to go through the rear hub and redo spokes to match the front, the rear hub doesn’t have much chrome left.
Looks like it all came apart easily! Great start!

I’ve proceeded with roughing out the design on the fly. Mocking up the concept and will fine tune materials as I go if it looks like it will work. The pieces I picked up for the axle bar are too short so back for some 3/16” flat bar.
IMG_3393.jpeg
IMG_3394.jpeg
IMG_3395.jpeg
IMG_3396.jpeg
IMG_3398.jpeg

I stopped for some flat bar on way back from lunch. The basic concept is in rough mock-up form. I’m on hold with the compression springs at this point. I need to figure out how much rake I actually want to add so the front wheel, it is just sitting on the axle bars, and when the springs show up I’ll establish limit pins locations. At some point I’ll do some static tests for flex and stability before even thinking about any test riding/coasting…
IMG_3400.jpeg
IMG_3401.jpeg
IMG_3402.jpeg
IMG_3404.jpeg
IMG_3405.jpeg
IMG_3406.jpeg

Back