Columbia šŸŖ CamelBack - ā€˜21 2n1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! We went to HD today and looked at in stock Rustoleum colors. They have these new cans with a funky little multi spray nozzle. In the past Iā€™ve used various rattle cans that I attach accessory handles to and use the cans like an actual spray gun. These new cans donā€™t allow for the add on handles. So the paint I got will be an experiment that Iā€™m vary of.

For starters we got a can of hammered black satin and Tuscan sun gloss. Not sure Iā€™ll be happy with the Tuscan sun, still open to color suggestions.

Has anyone used these 5 in 1 nozzles?
I figure the one youā€™ll want to use will be the one clogged after initial use.
View attachment 232758
I just saw those new spray cans at Home Depot last week when I was scouting for paint options for my own bikes. I'm used to just using the standard nozzle, though I don't do enough painting to really know how that compares to alternate nozzles or what have you. I may have to try out one of those cans on something of mine; preferably something I don't have any problem messing up.

I just saw those new spray cans at Home Depot last week when I was scouting for paint options for my own bikes. I'm used to just using the standard nozzle, though I don't do enough painting to really know how that compares to alternate nozzles or what have you. I may have to try out one of those cans on something of mine; preferably something I don't have any problem messing up.
I havenā€™t seen those yet! super cool!

Rustoleum must be hip to our growing RaT RoD build offs Forum! They have some new colors / 'textures' out this year too.

I like the Tuscan Sun color. Maybe pour a couple of glasses of Chianti to have on hand while you work. You know, create the atmosphere.

Donā€™t care for these new multi spray nozzle cans at all, have paint on my fingers which the old style with add on handle avoids. The low spray setting didnā€™t even work, the button is hard to push.
The regular setting put out more paint than the old style cans, D+ from me. Make a handle for and might try it again.

Any way did the axle bars with matte hammered black and the spring brackets with Tuscan sun which is too yellow. Hopefully it dries to a darker shade. Ace hardware is suppose to have some color that HD doesnā€™t have, also Menards in the old style cans.
Donā€™t think I want to do whole frame with the push button nozzle, less control than the handle with trigger.
IMG_3478.jpeg
IMG_3480.jpeg
IMG_3481.jpeg
IMG_3483.jpeg
IMG_3482.jpeg

Last edited:
On my phone it looks like caterpillar tractor color.
Think Iā€™m in agreement with you, my first thought. Itā€™s closer to the fork color than the frame.
IMG_3485.jpeg

Well I find that Menards has the most complete in stock Rustoleum selection locally. Picked up gloss Caterpillar Yellow and satin Harvest Peach today and sprayed on some bamboo for tube effect.
IMG_3486.jpeg

The peach is probably the best match so far. Itā€™s sorta in between the existing fork and frame color. Iā€™ve seen nice bolder colors but as itā€™s an ā€œoldā€ bike I think it deserves a milder approach. There really isnā€™t a lot to choose from in the yellow gold spectrum. Seems like it needs a little more orange or brown in the mix.
IMG_3487.jpeg
IMG_3488.jpeg

Side bar note: 1K views, thanks viewers!

Last edited:
A few more color experimentsā€¦going to need to have a used paint sale.
IMG_3490.jpeg
IMG_3489.jpeg

Warm Caramel, Khaki, Harvest Peach and Caterpillar Yellow are shown in these shots, all off one way or the other. Guess I could just clean the frame and fork.
IMG_3497.jpeg
IMG_3498.jpeg
IMG_3499.jpeg

Or might even just go Hammered Green.
IMG_3500.jpeg

Last edited:
Took the camelback apart again. Still waffling on a color change so I just shot some paint on without any prep work on frame, no worries. From one angle rather like a Gene Winfield blend, sorta. Anyway shade tree experimenting, Natureā€™s spray booth. One side Harvest Peach, the other Warm Caramel.
IMG_3508.jpeg
IMG_3507.jpeg
IMG_3509.jpeg

The original color is somewhere between the two on it now.

As I sit here looking at it, I can envision both colors being used with some darts and accent trim in place.

Last edited:
Some quick darts and diamonds cut from cardboard for an illusion look see.
IMG_3510.jpeg
IMG_3511.jpeg
IMG_3512.jpeg
IMG_3513.jpeg
IMG_3514.jpeg
IMG_3515.jpeg

If I were to do this Iā€™d cut some stencils and or do some masking. Just mock-up paint nothing permanent at this point.

Then thereā€™s the Hammered Greenā€¦
IMG_3501.jpeg

Last edited:
At first I though, "I like the caramel with the peach darts." Then I saw the other side and thought, "I like the peach with the caramel darts."

Why not both! DO IT! The kind of 'two face' look would be really cool. And your hammered green will fit with both colors.

Color me intrigued! PaiNt oN~!

Nice! Both colors look good. I like the light color with the darker darts. That green is pretty interesting too.
Thanks! Rather leaning that way myself.
At first I though, "I like the caramel with the peach darts." Then I saw the other side and thought, "I like the peach with the caramel darts."

Why not both! DO IT! The kind of 'two face' look would be really cool. And your hammered green will fit with both colors.

Color me intrigued! PaiNt oN~!
Interesting but complicated and error prone as I think about the reality. I have to watch my blood pressure. Thanks for your confidence though.
I'm liking the caramelwith the peach darts. With the fork in peach with carmel darts. šŸ˜€
Thatā€™s more doable, but I might reverse it all. Thanks!

And just like that Iā€™m down to bare steel. Under the yellow gold paint I found black and some white on the head tube. No darts, arrows or stripes. So I have clean slate which awaits some primer and then a commitment to new color. Iā€™ll need to do some primer prep work.
IMG_3521.jpeg
IMG_3522.jpeg

Our dachshund trying to climb a bush to get at a Cardinals nest, sheā€™s relentless.

Last edited:
Cereal box cardboard! I keep a stack of those around also. They are great for so many things like patterns for brackets or stencils like you used it for!
233392-IMG-3512.jpeg

Looking good. :cool:

*For the record, I'm thinking that your fork set up would benefit from turning the fork backwards. You might have to reconfigure the L bracket but there's still plenty of summer left.

Latest posts

Back