Columbia 🐪 CamelBack - ‘21 2n1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I masked up the forks for some accent darts, shot them with the Harvest Peach.
IMG_3793.jpeg
IMG_3792.jpeg
IMG_3795.jpeg
IMG_3794.jpeg

My wife is having some nerve issues so I’m redoing our front entry steps. Care giver, bike builder, dog dad, chef, chauffeur, all around handyman, that’s me.

Stripped the masking on the forks, think I can live with the results.
IMG_3799.jpeg
IMG_3797.jpeg

Hopefully the next time I post photos of this frame it’ll have done Warm Carmel accents. I found another small run so after sanding it out and adding another coat, I think I might be finally done with adding “peaches” to it. We’ll see.
IMG_3800.jpeg

Pond life…
IMG_3636.jpeg

Last edited:
This post is a little off the rails but I have no Camels around, did smoke a few Camels when I was young and foolish.

Anyway I do have the Camelback to complete and we have a new nest of Cardinals. Both parents are busy with the feedings. There are at least 2 fledglings and maybe 3. A couple of crude phone photos and video.
IMG_3819.jpeg
IMG_3820.jpeg

Short video…

And caught a cactus blooming, life’s little pleasures.
IMG_3813.jpeg

Contemplating Camelback colors…in black and white + red I guess.
IMG_3842.jpeg

Really loved your peach. What prompted the new look?
LOL, Actually Peach and Camel…BWR just idea sketch. Not meaning to confuse anyone, have to read the fine print.

Last edited:
Some cleanup before frame masking and paint.
IMG_3843.jpeg

Crank and chainring are crusty, gave thought to paint but think I’ll keep their patina since this is a rat rod. The chain will match as well as the hubs. So their will be some shine, some patina, some new parts, some old parts, some not meant to be parts, some recycled parts and maybe a surprise or two.

Well here we go, usually have a leak somewhere in masking. Maybe I’ll get lucky this time.
IMG_3845.jpeg
IMG_3846.jpeg
IMG_3847.jpeg

No guarantees on symmetry… measurements were taken though. Freehand taping is not and was not my paycheck career.

Side Bar: At the front entry we’ve lived with 2 risers one of which was 12” for 40 plus years. We are both aging and my wife is having nerve issues. So in rat rod economical fashion I built a set of wood risers to eliminate the 12” step. Also had to replace the railing because of increased tread run. So 3 risers now compared to the previous 2.
IMG_3848.jpeg

Last edited:
Well here we go, usually have a leak somewhere in masking. Maybe I’ll get lucky this time. View attachment 236449View attachment 236450View attachment 236451
No guarantees on symmetry… measurements were taken though. Freehand taping is not and was not my paycheck career.

Side Bar: At the front entry we’ve lived with 2 risers one of which was 12” for 40 plus years. We are both aging and my wife is having nerve issues. So in rat rod economical fashion I built a set of wood risers to eliminate the 12” step. Also had to replace the railing because of increased tread run. View attachment 236456
Hit it with a light coat of clear before color. Should stop edge bleed

Or hit it with the base color first...
Seals the bleed and ist mostly unrecognizable.

Warm Carmel in place, masking removed. No major issues, some assembly ahead in a few days as curing takes place. Bottom bracket cups and headset cups are ready to go, then I can experiment with forks.
IMG_3856.jpeg
IMG_3857.jpeg
IMG_3858.jpeg
IMG_3860.jpeg

Didn’t have any clear but I’ve tried the base color first previously. Usually I’ve missed some gap or left a hole somewhere away from the accents and the mist finds it.
Or hit it with the base color first...
Seals the bleed and ist mostly unrecognizable.
Thanks. I’ve tried that before and had it lift the tape. In spots. I just went direct today.
Lovin’ the color combo
Thanks! It’s growing on me now that there’s no turning back…easily.
Looking good!
Thanks!
Good job on the steps. There is an art to calculating the correct tread and risers.
Thanks! Since I did the wood as an overlay on the concrete the top two risers are 6” and the bottom is 6-1/2”, treads are 14-1/2. It’s rather crazy that we’ve lived with previous 12” riser. Think it might have been around 11” when we bought the house, so some settlement.
Need to do a similar thing at our kitchen to patio sliding door.

At it again…the 1” threadless headset that I sourced is for a newer frame. The cup OD are 30mm. The Camelback frame head tube counterbore is 33mm or so. I cut down a shim from 1-1/4” copper pipe sleeve with a width equal to the counterbore depth. I also made angular cuts on shim until the shrunken diameter would fit the head tube, then pressed the headset cups in. Seems pretty snug.
IMG_3869.jpeg

IMG_3863.jpeg

I then proceeded to install the 20” fork and stem with grease for color review.
Stem height is in flux till I get wheels and bars back on.
I have bamboo frame that I built up. I think some of paint detail was influenced by it.
IMG_3864.jpeg
IMG_3866.jpeg
IMG_3865.jpeg
IMG_3868.jpeg

Don't see any bleed thru looks like you got the tape edges sealed.
Used Scotch-Blue #2080EL and #2080 for the paint lines. It’s real thin with medium adhesion. I’ve had good luck with it.

Latest posts

Back