Columbia šŸŖ CamelBack - ā€˜21 2n1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like ā€œRadioFlyerā€
Pro Member
Reaction score
If I actually continue on this course Iā€™d like blow my Westfield Columbia Camelback apart and rebuild it.
Maybe it gets pretty instead of pretty rusty, just short of a restoration. Have a new set of bars for it one way or the other.
IMG_3364.jpeg

Iā€™m including the original find and build link from a few years back.
Rear wheel needs rebuilding and some parts will disappear. Might get paint I need to explore the existing paint.

Previous general build linkā€¦
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/westfield-built-camelback-1934-maybe-1921.107463/page-1
Any objections???

Last edited:
New year,new start,new build... Step right in, and start the mayhem...

Based on serial numbers and geometry this camelback could have been a 1921 based on the M8 serial number and would have had 28ā€ tires. The ā€œMā€ prefixed serial number was again used in 1934 where both 26ā€ and 28ā€ wheel models were available. The coffin crank would have been incorrect for ā€˜21.
There are comments and discussions in the old find/build thread attached in 1st post.
I need to get this bike out of storage and haul it home.

Last edited:
Thoughts are rolling inā€¦
IMG_3365.jpeg

IMG_3374.jpeg
IMG_3373.jpeg
IMG_3376.jpeg

Last edited:
That front suspension is a new one for me. This should be an interesting build!

RaT oN~!

That front suspension is a new one for me. This should be an interesting build!

RaT oN~!
Goes back to 1889 by Pope Manufacturing Co.

And so it beginsā€¦maybe, depends on what cooperates in coming loose.
IMG_3377.jpeg
IMG_3378.jpeg
IMG_3379.jpeg
IMG_3380.jpeg

Well itā€™s pretty much apart, lots of cleanup ahead. The paint is pretty much gone except for front triangle. So I either leave it ratty or strip it, primer and paint. Iā€™d always sorta liked the gold color paint with black trim, weā€™ll see. I guess itā€™s a blank slate now.
IMG_3381.jpeg
IMG_3382.jpeg
IMG_3383.jpeg
IMG_3384.jpeg
IMG_3385.jpeg
IMG_3387.jpeg
IMG_3388.jpeg

I had painted the front rim and respoked the wheel. I need to go through the rear hub and redo spokes to match the front, the rear hub doesnā€™t have much chrome left.

Last edited:
Well itā€™s pretty much apart, lots of cleanup ahead. The paint is pretty much gone except for front triangle. So I either leave it ratty or strip it, primer and paint. Iā€™d always sorta liked the gold color paint with black trim, weā€™ll see. I guess itā€™s a blank slate now.View attachment 231134View attachment 231135View attachment 231136View attachment 231137View attachment 231138View attachment 231139View attachment 231140
I had painted the front rim and respoked the wheel. I need to go through the rear hub and redo spokes to match the front, the rear hub doesnā€™t have much chrome left.
Looks like it all came apart easily! Great start!

Iā€™ve proceeded with roughing out the design on the fly. Mocking up the concept and will fine tune materials as I go if it looks like it will work. The pieces I picked up for the axle bar are too short so back for some 3/16ā€ flat bar.
IMG_3393.jpeg
IMG_3394.jpeg
IMG_3395.jpeg
IMG_3396.jpeg
IMG_3398.jpeg

I stopped for some flat bar on way back from lunch. The basic concept is in rough mock-up form. Iā€™m on hold with the compression springs at this point. I need to figure out how much rake I actually want to add so the front wheel, it is just sitting on the axle bars, and when the springs show up Iā€™ll establish limit pins locations. At some point Iā€™ll do some static tests for flex and stability before even thinking about any test riding/coastingā€¦
IMG_3400.jpeg
IMG_3401.jpeg
IMG_3402.jpeg
IMG_3404.jpeg
IMG_3405.jpeg
IMG_3406.jpeg

Latest posts

Back