Columbia 🐪 CamelBack - ‘21 2n1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little more rough mock-up work, need a few more hardware pieces for the other side. Then I’ll play with wheel placement options. The springs are saddle springs, pretty stiff.
IMG_3418.jpeg
IMG_3419.jpeg
IMG_3420.jpeg

This front suspension is pretty interesting!
Thanks. Getting to close to finding out if it is just “interesting” or actually workable. If it works I’ll add some refinement to it.
It maybe just a cast off pipe dream. Kinda determines the direction of the rest of the bike rebuild.

Two matching spring assemblies complete. Roller coming next…we’ll see.
IMG_3427.jpeg
IMG_3428.jpeg
IMG_3431.jpeg

Even if the roller part fails it was a fun mental exercise. After a cardiology stress test on Wednesday during which it seemed they were trying to kill me, this springer experiment is a piece of cake. They even have you sign a release of liability if they succeed. Well I’m still kickin it.

Added the front wheel. As I was finishing up a couple of stray dogs came into the garage, both friendly and thirsty. I called animal control as I’ve never seen them in neighborhood or being walked. They were wet like they’d been walking in the creek. Been over an hour, County at work, just trying to do the right thing now I’m on the governments time.
IMG_3433.jpeg
IMG_3434.jpeg
IMG_3436.jpeg
IMG_3435.jpeg

The owner showed up looking for them, guess they live a few blocks away, so it ends well without animal control getting involved.

Last edited:
It rolls, some action from the springs. Probably more of a dampening effect than full blown springer. Initially wheel centers, seems rigid. I think the next step is cleaning up bottom bracket, chain and crank, put the drive train back, seat and bars together and do a controlled test ride.
IMG_3442.jpeg
IMG_3437.jpeg
IMG_3440.jpeg
IMG_3441.jpeg
IMG_3439.jpeg

It rolls, some action from the springs. Probably more of a dampening effect than full blown springer. Initially wheel centers, seems rigid. I think the next step is cleaning up bottom bracket, chain and crank, put the drive train back, seat and bars together and do a controlled test ride. View attachment 232180View attachment 232181View attachment 232182View attachment 232183View attachment 232184
Just a quick thought that crossed my mind while looking at your pics:
What if you turn the fork backwards and then mount the angled irons? That would probably reduce the trail to a more standard amount (if that's an issue when steering).

Just a quick thought that crossed my mind while looking at your pics:
What if you turn the fork backwards and then mount the angled irons? That would probably reduce the trail to a more standard amount (if that's an issue when steering).
Seems like that would change the entire. design geometry, haven’t wrapped my mind around that yet.

I was wondering about the trail myself.
As stated above, seems like that would change the entire design geometry, haven’t wrapped my mind around that yet. Think that lowers the front axle quite a bit in relationship to the fork head tube.
Might do some cut and paste photo work before I start unbolting stuff.

Test ride will come first…I’m hands on with solving problems.

Did some minor cleanup on drive train parts and put basic bike back together. Did some documentation photos before proceeding further.
IMG_3456.jpeg
IMG_3457.jpeg
IMG_3458.jpeg
IMG_3460.jpeg
IMG_3461.jpeg
IMG_3462.jpeg
IMG_3464.jpeg

Now for some static testing in garage.

Static pressure, bounce, turning without and with weight applied. Alignment held steady. Took it to street road uphill, noticed the extended wheelbase. Then made a flow turn and road back downhill to driveway and back to garage. I really didn’t notice any major issues, I’m not a sweet jumps or BMX style rider, just low and slow at my age.
I see a couple of things I can do to make it more failsafe and I’ll refine the part’s appearance.
Think I’ve proved to myself that it can be done. I guess the build continues…call your mother or celebrate her in some way today.
IMG_3465.jpeg
IMG_3466.jpeg

Last edited:
That's some cool and funky bracketology going on there. Love that frame and saddle.

Loving those forks, really cool design!
I have messed with spring behind the fork designs before but they always ended up too bulky for my liking, never thought to use two separate springs, one on each side, brilliant!

:praise:

Adding an extra plate to the flat angles so bolted them together to drill some matching holes. Also added some wheelbase adjustment axle holes. Then I rounded off the sharp corners on the hardware pieces.
Need to degrease, etch, prime and paint the flat stock. Thinking the hardware pieces will retain their original finish.
IMG_3470.jpeg
IMG_3471.jpeg
IMG_3473.jpeg

Last edited:
I did deburr, clean, etch and primer for the bracket parts. The axle bar gets satin black the L brackets get frame color. I’ve always rather liked the yellowish mustard color of the frame with black accents, sorta waffling with a light green, gray or the Tuscan gold color.
IMG_3457.jpeg

With it all in pieces it seems like a good time for new paint, the existing is repaint with a bunch of surface rust.

Any suggestions from the viewers on frame and fork color(s)?

The rims will remain black, not sure I’ll put fenders back on. The rear rack would stay black. I’m not sure I’ll reuse the tank.

Last edited:
I like the frame color too. Find something close and go with that?
Thanks! We went to HD today and looked at in stock Rustoleum colors. They have these new cans with a funky little multi spray nozzle. In the past I’ve used various rattle cans that I attach accessory handles to and use the cans like an actual spray gun. These new cans don’t allow for the add on handles. So the paint I got will be an experiment that I’m vary of.

For starters we got a can of hammered black satin and Tuscan sun gloss. Not sure I’ll be happy with the Tuscan sun, still open to color suggestions.

Has anyone used these 5 in 1 nozzles?
I figure the one you’ll want to use will be the one clogged after initial use.
IMG_6753.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back