Columbia Firebolt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Snagged this off of EBay after it was posted up on the RRB Facebook page. Paint is a little more beat up than I had hoped for so I'm not sure whether I'm going to just finish cleaning it up as best I can and clear coat it or if I'll strip it and repaint it. Still haven't grabbed the serial number to date it yet.

%2524%2528KGrHqR%252C%2521q4FE0-C2QEYBSc-u%252CQ%2529Ew%257E%257E60_57.JPG

%2524%2528KGrHqZHJEsFJmT11V%252CzBSc-vmmjCw%257E%257E60_57.JPG

That was a pretty sweet deal on that one!
These are cool frames!

kim_dude said:
Looks almost identical with the exception of the reflector on the rear fender. My serial number is NO69834 so looks like probably a 64.

Yeah,that's a newer square reflector the previous owner tacked on there,It's been replaced with a more period correct one since the pic was taken.

Re: Columbia Firebolt- headbadge question

What was the deal with Columbia on their tank bikes not using a headbadge and having that ribbed silver tape? The holes for the badge are there.

kim_dude said:
What was the deal with Columbia on their tank bikes not using a headbadge and having that ribbed silver tape? The holes for the badge are there.

The tank is supposed to have a bezel attached to the headtube area. It envelopes the headtube.
Common on the Firebolt and the Firearrow. I have had a couple (still own one) Firearrows and of couse a girls Firebolt that you know about Kim.

Here is a 61

attachment.php

attachment.php

jd56 said:
kim_dude said:

The tank is supposed to have a bezel attached to the headtube area. It envelopes the headtube.
Common on the Firebolt and the Firearrow. I have had a couple (still own one) Firearrows and of couse a girls Firebolt that you know about Kim.

Here is a 61

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like mine is a 1961,appears to have the same graphics on the chainguard and tank as the one above.

6DODGE6RAM6 said:
jd56 said:
kim_dude said:

Here is a 61

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like mine is a 1961,appears to have the same graphics on the chainguard and tank as the one above.

This could very well be yours. I borrow pictures from all the sites for my gallery for reference purposes, hope you don't mind. If this is yours, it's in prestine condition.....

Interesting. My tank doesnt have a battery tray or anywhere for a light switch on it though. We need to have an inaugural bike club meeting sometime JD.

jd56 said:
This could very well be yours. I borrow pictures from all the sites for my gallery for reference purposes, hope you don't mind. If this is yours, it's in prestine condition.....

No worries,the red one isn't mine,i own the black one pictured above though

Kim, the battery trays are sometimes located in the bezel , which is missing on yours.
If there is no head badge and just the chrome laminated decal, then it was a tanklight. The bezel would have covered a headbadge so no headbadges would have been applied.
But the tank should have a switch....does it?

Lots of companies used a similar style tank/light assembly. You might find that another brand will fit. The girl's bikes are different, but boy's middle weight tanks are all fairly close.

Columbia also made a ballooner version of this style frame in 63/64 under their Newsboy brand. I picked one up at Ann Arbor back in April and it has been sitting in my basement covered up ever since. I thought about some wild build, but I think I am going to go with the classic Columbia red/white paint and just build a nice looking rider.

newsie2.jpg

Thanks for all the info guys. The tank does not have a switch, or a place for one so I'm not sire whats going on there.

I'm thinking i might try to redo it in a red sparkle paint job like the original. For those who have gotten repro decals made is there a specific kind I should look for?

Nice find! I've been thinking of selling my '62 but I'm too attached at how cool these frames are! :happy: I'll probably keep it for a long time :p

Latest posts

Back