Columbia Gasser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother had an old Columbia frame laying around and I was looking for something to build so I decided to build it for him. I borrowed some parts from another project to decide how to go with it and decided to build a gasser style bike. Here is what I got so far.

Here is the frame mocked up to see how it would look. The red wheels are borrowed from another project.
ColumbiaGasser1.jpg

The rear Carlisle tire is off an old lawn cart and looks like a cheater slick. It is weather cracked but still looks usable.
ColumbiaGasser2.jpg

ColumbiaGasser3.jpg

I liked this sprocket because it looks like a mag wheel. The handle bars are off a Murray Monteray but I decided not use them.
ColumbiaGasser4.jpg
]

Got the frame painted. It looks black in the photo but is actually a dark gray primer.
ColumbiaGasser5.jpg

Here it is mocked up again with the red wheels and seat from my other project.
ColumbiaGasser6.jpg

I decided to go with chrome wheels and also to use a 26 X 1 3/8 front tire and wheel up front.
ColumbiaGasser7.jpg

Future plans include a moon tank on the front of the bike and maybe some wheel disc covers.

snfargle said:
is it just me or does the frame appear to be levitating in the paint pic

Coat hanger thru seat post clamp, tough to see. :)

Like the skinny in the front gasser look...might have to try that with this one

100_1416.jpg

cman said:
Looks good. I really like the 26" Slick tire. too bad you couldnt find more of them.

Yeah I would love to find someplace to get them.

Schwinnspastic said:
lookin good ! I like the tire combo, do it to lots of the bikes I build ...like this one
100_6991.jpg

kinda liked the red wheels on it to

Sweet bike. Is that a 24" X 3" back tire?

snfargle said:
is it just me or does the frame appear to be levitating in the paint pic

Hadn't even noticed that but yeah there is a coat hanger holding it up. It sure would make it easier to paint them if they would levitate though.

Back