Community service

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I was always doing some kind of community service when I was in the military, from cleaning up yards to tutoring kids in math. Since I retired in 2005, I hadn't really done too much in support of the local area. Then I saw an article in the paper about a pastor who was providing bicycles to those who needed transportation. He needed bike mechanics to help him fix up the donated bicycles so he could provide to all who needed the. That's convenient for me, as I had just got my workbench back together. So now, I pick up a few rusty bikes, get them roadworthy, and drop them back off for another few bikes to fix. And so it goes. This is perfect for me and keeps me in my shop doing what I like to do. I have to give all the bikes back, no matter how cool they are. That orange one is an original earthcruiser from back in the day.

2gufqf4.jpg

Cool deal. I volunteer at the fledgling bike coop every Monday. Most of what we do know is fix up bikes for kids, refugees and the homeless. Pretty satisfying - doing something you enjoy while helping others. I also instruct snow skiing for a handicap and disable program on the weekends

Well, I dropped off another 3 bikes and picked up 3 more. If they all were coaster brake, it would be better for the program, not as much maintenence. The ladies schwinn here will be a nice bike when I'm done with it.

2hofo7c.jpg

just curious..who foots the bill for parts like tires, tubes, brake pads, or other items that sometimes just can't be reused. those little things can add up. Sometimes i know I just can't justify spending $35 on tires and tubes when the bike will only be woth $36 when I'm done. I know you aren't selling them or anything, but i was just wondering.

Funny that you posted this, im doing the same thing for some Nuns in Independence mo. they have about fifty bikes that need worked on and then there sending them to Africa.They also give them to people in town who need transportation.

The funds come from donations to the organization. They featured this on the evening news for donations of old bikes, and the pastor's back yard became filled with bikes in no time. Many of the bikes are junk, but those that are marginal are candidates for my shop. They need to ride well and be safe, but not look good enough to steal. I try to get them respectable also. I just finished a 1979 Schwinn ladies bike (pictured above) that isn't bad at all. I just pick up the bikes and parts, usually new chains, tires, and inner tubes, and swap them every couple of weeks. I saw this frame and offered to buy it, but he gave it to me, as it was'nt a candidate for rebuild. It's going to be used for a military build off bike, with a Navy theme.

6pndc7.jpg

I forgot to mention, we also pick up parts cheap when we find them. I bought 4 good 26" knobby tires for a buck apiece at the base thrift store, while the pastor also has found new tires cheap. I also use patch kits on the flats, but he buys new tubes and chains from walmart. The only part we have trouble finding is the 26 x 1 3/8 tires. There is an abundance of those cheap lightweight bikes. The only I can't do is true the bad wheels, but there are more than enough in the junk pile to use. I'm dropping off 2 tomorrow and picking up 3 more.

Latest posts

Back