Copper King 2012

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I finally got my pics & project together & here is the build & my inspiration for 2012 --

The story behind this build is I like a certain look to my bicycles - it's all the small things that make the bike to me - I like clean - simple - functional & the extra non- functional things is not for me - with that being said - here is my latest machine -

I went to my buddies bicycle shop in Costa Mesa California - It's located in a unique outdoor mall called " The Lab " & is stressed as being an Anti Mall - He runs his shop out of a 30 foot Airstream Trailer which is located in the back parking lot at " The Lab " - His shop is called MODE BIKES - you can find him online @ http://www.modebikes.com - Well he has a different take on bikes - he focuses on modern frames with super fat tires which are all one of customs - I on the other hand focus on collecting & riding vintage American made bicycles - Well I was at his shop after reading about the build off here on Rat Rod Bikes & it hit me - There was a set of Felt aluminum hoops up on the wall that were powder coated copper & I had my inspiration for this build - so I went home that night with a idea & a dream build for this build off --

So here is where it all started -- I wanted to build a fat tire 1930's Silverking up - my big question is " will the tires fit under the frame - For those who don't know the silverking frames were produced in the 1930's - late 1940's & were made of an aircraft aluminum that could be tempered among other things ( modern technology for the 1930's ) & the frames head tubes & rear frame portions are cast with the connecting tubes being set glued & pinned together - came factory with 24" rims & made for boys & girls to compete directly with the full sized 26" bikes back then - long frames rode like a 26" bike too --

so here is what I started with

Windowframe1.jpg

Well these bicycles I like because they always reminded me of a 26" BMX cruiser from the early 80's -- The lines are great & it is light weight -

The bikes when you find them usually are all hammed like this one -- the parts are crusty & rusty & the beauty of these Silverkings is that you don't need to paint anything on them - if you like new & shiny - you can get the frames polished out & they look brand new - but for this build I wanted to leave the frame as I got it - tear all the rusty off & use the bare frame with all it's " glory & stories " - So I broke the bike down & brought the frame over to my buddies shop for the mock-up --

SilverkingRR2012-20.jpg

WOW THAT'S CLOSE -- 24" x 2" wide rimes with white patina 24" x 3 " Thick Brick Tires -- I had to use a ranch dressing pack from a Chik fil la fast food joint to get the spacing to look right under the front fork for the mock-up - sometimes you just have to use what's sitting around you place to make things happen - right

Here is a picture below for reference of what a Silverking frame could look like if you were to polish it up ( this was at our local swap meet a couple months back ) -- great look too - but not for this build

Polishedwindowframe.jpg

Well the big concern were the tires making under the frame without having to do anything to the frame & I was now in the green with the front barely making it with less than a 1/8th of an inch on both sides of the fork to spare - the back of the frame has 1/4 inch more space to fit a tire in - so if I can build the wheels true I am golden --

SilverkingRR2012-2.jpg
SilverkingRR2012-22.jpg

In the mock-up I popped a tan seat as you can see in the last post -- I liked the look - but not the seat - it needed to look more vintage

- so I got the king of the seats - a Brooks B33 in Honey - The B33 seat is wide - vintage looking double coiled front spring & twisted coil sprung back - a real killer heavy duty seat with the look I was after ------well almost -----

I wanted to tie in the copper - so I took off the front & rear coils from the seat & had them powder coated in the same copper color -- WOW - that made my seat POP --

BrooksSeatcloseup.jpg

With the seat dialed in - I focused on the wheel set - I wanted a hot rod look & a while back I picked up a few Felt high flange alloy hubs that would look PERFECT I thought -- I went with 14 gauge stainless spokes & triple chrome plated long spoke nipples & for the back I just used a modern Shimano coaster brake in chrome - A chrome 20 tooth rear cog on the back for the perfect cruiser for the beach rides I like to do -- The tires were aged shop tires that had the look that I was after -
SilverkingRR2012-8.jpg

For the drive train I used a regular pitch hollow link - hollow pin BMX chain -- well ended up having to buy 2 chains since they were not long enough for a regular bike

For the chain ring I got a SKIPTOOTH Felt one - They don't sell them they only come on the bike complete ( I think the model is called a 1903 or something like that ) - again -- perfect look for what I was after -- old looking with modern technology

SilverkingRR2012-7.jpg

The bike was coming along great & I was getting excited

For the crank arms I used the original ones that came on the bike - took off the crusty chain ring & put on the Felt skiptoothed one - new bearings on the bottom bracket - original hardware & it looked the part - with the pedals I was having a problem -- I mocked up some vintage NOS Persons Supreme black pedal block pedals on the bike & they looked horrible to me since NOTHING is black on the bike anywhere - so I was on a mission - I was going to make some wooden blocks & stain them honey colored - but I really wanted white BIG pedal blocks - So went on line -- NOTHING to speak of - well there was some Harley repop pedals that I might be able to use but they were not long enough for the men's pedal bases if I blew them apart - so lucky for me there was opportunity with a swapmeet in Long Beach that weekend -- it ends up NO LUCK with the long big white pedal blocks impossible to find - I went to " plan B " -- I found a guy that had short big blocks in white from a ladies bicycle -- he wanted $40.- so I took the chance & bought them & thought I could just use those on there ------

Well the ladies pedal were too small on the bike -- so " plan C " - get some copper spacers -- so off to the local hardware store to see what I might be able to use -- copper pipes -- copper fittings -- copper end caps -- hmmmm -- close but no go -- then I found it -- quick fittings from this company called Shark Bite or something -- they had 2 copper sleeves & some barbed brass fitting that was a throw away to me in each bag - they were just about the right length & for $1.95 a bag it was worth a shot --

Well -- got them home & had to find some beater men's pedals - I found some cool looking original tear dropped pedals that I could use -- so I broke them down & spent about an hour & a half adjusting & spacing them correctly -- ended up using some large washers that would prevent the copper from digging into the rubber blocks - spaced correctly to where the axles were tight & the pedal ends were straight & not warped for the wrong spacing -- so white pedal blocks were centered & then a cad plated washer - then the copper shim & the pedal plates - looks cool

Pedal1.jpg

SilverkingRR2012-11.jpg

The bars were next on the list -- after many styles - I decided on the small sweep back alloy aluminum ones - they needed to be aluminum since the bike was -- They were to shiny so I banged them around a bit - used some sand paper - steel wool - scotch brite - a rusty pile of parts in a bucket so I could try to match the look of the raw frame -- it worked & they looked great - Grips were another thing that needed to tie in to the bike -- so I found some Origin 8 copies of the Brooks leather ring grips - PERFECT & right on the money -- I had them the correct or normal way on the bike first ( also notice the black pedals I decided against were on it then & a stem also that I powder coated - but it snapped when I put it on - so I used a vintage unknown polished aluminum stem I was saving for another bike instead - I also changed the seat post out to a laid back style prewar seat post so I could sit low & lean ) -- the bars needed to be flipped around for the board track racer look I was after on it -- so the second picture was the key

SilverkingRR2012-v1.jpg
SilverkingRR2012-13.jpg

It's been a fun build - that's where I have all the fun with problem solving on the journey - this wasn't easy - a little tweaking here & there to make this build a solid rider & not just a display piece -- I am glad I finally had time to get my entry here on Rat Rod Bikes forum & barely made the deadline this year - not sure on what happens next but at least next year I will know the process much better & I can't wait to do it again --

I like all bikes & what I like about this hobby is everyone's personality shines through on their bicycles - old & new from all ages -- keep your mind open & take everything in from any source - you never know where inspiration will come from -- Mine for this Copper King build came from a friend & his shop & ideas rubbed off on me making this one of a kind Silverking possible -- thanks Jay ( MODE BIKES ) for the inspiration on this one -- I liked it so much that I am working on my next idea already --

I just did my first ride or as I like to call it my Maiden Voyage on this bike yesterday at the CYCLONE COASTER Sunday Ride where we had 245 other riders counted -- what a day -- the Copper King held it's own & I had lots of positive questions & remarks on my new Rat Rod Bike -- I am glad I finally had a chance to share my build & get my photos posted before the deadline this year -- thanks for looking at my build & good luck to everyone on the Build Off #7

SilverkingRR2012-5.jpg

SilverkingRR2012-14.jpg

SilverkingRR2012-6.jpg

SilverkingRR2012-4.jpg

this last shot was last night on the way home -- I thought it was a great shot to end the day & this build -- enjoy the pictures & RIDE VINTAGE - Frank

SilverkingSunsetAug2012.jpg

Looks great, when did you start the build of this bike and when did you finish?

kingfish254 said:
Looks great, when did you start the build of this bike and when did you finish?

Thanks -- I actually mocked this bike up as seen on the boxes & spacers of ranch dip on June 21st 2012 & didn't start the build until a couple weeks later as I gathered my parts & ideas on what would work with what -- I was in a motorcycle accident & I am still very limited on my ability to work on anything since my arm was shattered among other things which is really frustrating since I am a hands on kind of guy that loves to work on anything & everything - I had a Harley Road King classic until that day where I was rear ended while waiting @ a red light on PCH on a perfect sunny clear Sunday morning in 2011 & woke up from be knocked out unconscious in the Hospital about to have a MRI done & I am still recovering from that - so after my 5 day a week therapy sessions I would hang out at my friends Shop after reading the blog on this contest & the build hit me the day before when I ran across some of his builds in his place where he was using this killer copper powder coating on his builds for all sorts of things from spokes to springs - chainrings - headsets & even rims - some of his crazy builds were rubbing off on me & my vintage ways -- he has some crazy build there from wooden Driftwood cruisers with 3 & 4 inch wide rims to electric bicycles with again FAT RIMS & TIRES -- He is a great designer & builder of custom modern bicycles & loves to build one of a kind creations using mainly Felt frames -- I went home that night & started brain storming now that I had a direction -- I don't like to start something until I have a solid direction -- once it starts getting momentum of it's own & when it's close - the details make the theme of the bicycle happen -- I finished the build on this past Saturday night August 4th 2012 at around 10:30pm when the ladies pedal blocks I bought at our local Long Beach swap meet were extended with copper spacers & washers about a inch to make a regular boys pedal -- late night -- but that was the final detail that made the bicycle POP for me & it was now worthy & finished -- if the pedals didn't happen - the bicycle wasn't where I wanted to be on the bike -- but I was finally done in my mind -- I had all the photos on my iPhone & I had it all documented just needed to up load it all & tell the story of my build - I finally did my first ride on it on the CYCLONE COASTER Sunday ride where 244 other people saw my creation for the first time -- great response from all the people that were tripping out on it -- I was trying to get it ready for the ride I just did with the Rolling Relics up & over the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco - but unfortunately I was still working out the bugs in the bike & it wasn't ready for the ride -- I ended up riding about 15 -20 miles yesterday -- rode well with the only issue being the loose seat clamp as I mentioned before -- I parked it for dinner on Main street in Huntington Beach as we ate & people kept stopping & taking shots of it -- I dig it & hope to ride it for years to come -- thanks for the question -- Frank

Peatbog said:
And can you post bigger pictures. That bike is cool.

I am not sure how to post them any bigger -- if you click on the pictures they will get bigger & should take you to my photo bucket pics - thanks on the comments I really like the final product too -- It came out better than I expected & rides super smooth --

Welcome to the build off. To post good sized photos on here or anywhere on this site, you first "upload" the photos onto an account you create for your photos on http://www.photobucket.com. Then, once they're up on there, you choose which photo you want to place in this (or any other site) and "hover" over the photo. When you're "hovering" with your cursor over the photo, a little box appears with codes. Click on the last code, the "img"(with text after "img"). Clicking on that will automatically copy that code. Then you come here and when you post a reply or start a new post, you "paste" the code into the posting box (right click with your mouse or right click with the right side button under your touch pad on your laptop). All you'll see at this point is the text of code... all is fine. You then can click "preview" or "submit" and you'll see your actual post with the large, beautiful photos!

Easy as 1,2,3............4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,,,,,, :cry: :mrgreen:

I just found Cyclone Coasters about a week ago online and I want to come out to one of your rides one of these first Sunday's of the month. I have a 1952 24" Monark. I'm hoping you'll personally welcome me to the group and give me a prime spot in the riding group since I gave you a hand here!.. :mrgreen: j/k.

See ya at Huntington Beach one of these days!

P.S. - I "friended " you're group on facebook about a week ago too. :)

Thanks EastOfEastLos -- well I got the photos on here just like you mentioned -- grabbed the code - but the size is small - is there a way to adjust that before you upload them here ??

As far as the ride I personally welcome everyone to anything we do as CYCLONE COASTER -- I am always near the end of the group to make sure we don't loose anyone along the way & I help people that might have bicycle problems -- so come on out & enjoy the ride -- I ride through Huntington Beach mid month to get the bicycle ride out of my system for the day -- once a month is not enough ride time -- keep an eye out for us & thanks for the help -- RIDE VINTAGE -- Frank

Well Frank, the photos you upload to photobucket are raw and unedited. The "img" code you copy from Photobucket allows you to bring the photo in it's original size/format/resolution into your posts here.

Windowframe1.jpg

Example: img]http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i380/cyclonecoaster/Windowframe1.jpg[/img <<<<<< You're sure you're copying this code? This specific code is for the photo above. (I deleted the first and last bracket in the code so it would show up here as code and not a photo).

Your code looks ok. Your resolution is low on this photo but this photo is still showing up as you can see. It should work for you. I didn't do a thing to re-size the photo. I just pasted the code into my posting box and your photo appeared.

Great bike. Love that frame and the wheel choice is perfect.

EastOfEastLos said:
Well Frank, the photos you upload to photobucket are raw and unedited. The "img" code you copy from Photobucket allows you to bring the photo in it's original size/format/resolution into your posts here.

Windowframe1.jpg

Example: img]http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i380/cyclonecoaster/Windowframe1.jpg[/img <<<<<< You're sure you're copying this code? This specific code is for the photo above. (I deleted the first and last bracket in the code so it would show up here as code and not a photo).

Your code looks ok. Your resolution is low on this photo but this photo is still showing up as you can see. It should work for you. I didn't do a thing to re-size the photo. I just pasted the code into my posting box and your photo appeared.

Thanks for the post help -- I don't use Photobucket very often -- I was copying the code for clickable link - not the full sized image codes -- so I just went through & updated all the pictures on the build page & on the entry page it's locked so people will have to check this build page out - or - click on the pics for a full sized link to Photobucket -- much better - thanks again -- RIDE VINTAGE - Frank
SilverkingRR2012-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back