Coppertone Fastback: A Penny, Saved

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like your ideas, and plan.

These cranks from a 24" Speedster were in the parts bin. They're the right length for a Fastback and they're dated '66.
20191208_145732.jpg
20191208_145755.jpg

This was my attempt at a low-budget alternative to a correct Mag sprocket. I'm learning how to use the 3-D printer at work, and I figured this would be a good experiment.
20191208_152551.jpg

I was hoping to paint it up to look like an old American Racing Torq-Thrust mag wheel.
American+Racing+Torq+Thrust+D+Wheel+15++x+7++Gray+Center+1965-1973+Mustang_L.jpg

A big part of the problem is my complete lack of patience for sanding. Working on my car as a kid, I was a complete failure at any kind of body work because I I pretty much wanted to spread the Bondo on and then shoot it with paint as soon as it was dry. I started trying to sand the layer lines out of this thing, but I gave up pretty quick.
20191208_152805.jpg

I had hoped that using Plasti-Dip type stuff might fill in some of the texture. Not really. At least I got it cheap... Surplus City had these cans for 3 bucks each.
20191208_152821.jpg
20191208_201423.jpg

I'm kinda disappointed. Maybe it'll look better with the bike all together, but my hopes aren't high. Working on a Plan B.

edit: although stepping back from the computer and looking from a distance, it does look somewhat better... gonna find some little acorn nuts with bolts to put through the holes...

Last edited:
I'm kinda disappointed. Maybe it'll look better with the bike all together, but my hopes aren't high. Working on a Plan B.

edit: although stepping back from the computer and looking from a distance, it does look somewhat better... gonna find some little acorn nuts with bolts to put through the holes...

It'll be OK. If anything, play up the roughness a little. Make it look like 53 years of use and curb rash. A dark wash, to highlight the scratches and shadows would probably help.

so I tried something I have a little more experience with to make me feel better, and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. This was the guard before:
20191207_222843.jpg
20191207_222912.jpg

And this is it after I made up a stencil and sponged on some flat white:
20191208_225608.jpg
20191208_225524.jpg

When you look at it in the right light, you can see it's way off.
20191208_225552.jpg

Won't fool any experts, but I think it's great for a rider.
20191208_225535.jpg

It'll be OK. If anything, play up the roughness a little. Make it look like 53 years of use and curb rash. A dark wash, to highlight the scratches and shadows would probably help.
y'know, after what I just did with the guard, I'm thinking you're right. I can make that work.

Your guard reminds me of my chainguard from K-Rat:
71598892_2322044751240826_4812679638792798208_o.jpg

Eyup, that white decal has something written on it... :21:

Just a suggestion, but perhaps rather than sand down the high spots on your mag ring, fill-in the low ones? A smear of Tamiya putty would be a lot easier to sand smooth than that raw plastic.

Just a suggestion, but perhaps rather than sand down the high spots on your mag ring, fill-in the low ones? A smear of Tamiya putty would be a lot easier to sand smooth than that raw plastic.
I agree, filling it would be much less work if you can spread the filler neatly. I would suggest a catalyzed filler over the Tamiya. You can get a small tube of Bondo finishing putty at almost any auto parts store. You won't have any shrinkage with a catalyzed filler like you will with an air dry filler. The other benefit, it will be ready to sand in less than an hour, an air dry filler will take a day or two to dry.

One thing to note if you do decide to use a filler, I would prime it first, some plastics don't accept a filler very well.

I can see that there are some letters there, but I can't make out what they are...
Let me help You a little bit with that:
78682108_2471349229643710_4369859645762699264_o.jpg

Most of the water decals are barely readable, but that's the thing - it gives the bike a more beaten-ratty look.

Also as @Psychographic & @RustySprockets wrote - use putty on that print. I played a lot with 3D printed things and in most cases using putty gives a far better effect than just sanding the piece.

I'd leave the crank / chain ring / mag as it is. As restodave said, it's been around for 53 yrs being ridden; not sitting on a showroom floor!

Your graphics on the chain guard are incredible~!
And it's kind of a 'ghost image' with the original floating almost unseen in the background.

As they used to say on TV during the Batman show days...."Don't touch that dial!"
**humor for those aged 55 and above** :21:

I'm sure you guys suggesting body filler are correct; I even read that several other places before trying this whole 3d printing thing. However, me and putty do not get along, never have. I'm too lazy and impatient. So the sprocket/"hubcap" will go one of a few ways:

Plan A-weather/distress the hubcap as suggested by @OddJob and @restodave and use 3M outdoor 2-sided tape to stick it to the cheapo sprocket. Also depends on guard clearance; this whole little experiment will have been a waste if it doesn't fit behind the guard with a minimum of diddling.
Plan B-run the cheapo sprocket the way it is. (ewwwww)
Plan C-use a 46-tooth Schwinn mag sprocket that I have off the same Collegiate that's donating its brakes and derailleur and some other bits.
Plan D-suck it up and shell out the 50 bucks or so for a correct 52-tooth Mag in decent shape. (I am watching a bunch of them on Fleabay and I am leaning more and more towards this. I keep looking at complete Fastbacks and this sprocket just looks so cool.)

Your graphics on the chain guard are incredible~!
And it's kind of a 'ghost image' with the original floating almost unseen in the background.

As they used to say on TV during the Batman show days...."Don't touch that dial!"
**humor for those aged 55 and above** :21:
thanks! I have been having a lot of fun playing with that machine, making both decals and stencils...

Ugh. I feel so dirty. The thought of paying 4 figures for an old kid's bike offends my sensibilities, and I have always rolled my eyes at fanatics who need to have date coded spoke nipples and cryogenically preserved numbers-matching tires on their early Sting Rays with seats that have been reupholstered with the correct vintage hides from deep-tufted unicorns...

but I digress. The actual point is that I shelled out the cash for a Mag sprocket on Fleabay.
SmartSelect_20191218-230900_Gmail.jpg

Last edited:
So this came in the mail and I'm a little concerned.
20191223_171445.jpg

I probably should have vetted it a little more carefully. The teeth are visibly worn. Not really terrible, but noticeable. And it looks like it may have been dinged and straightened at some point. At any rate, it's here and it's going on and we'll jump off that bridge when we get to it.

Also, I picked up the front wheel today from the friend who trued it for me. So I got to looking at this pile in the corner behind the unused elliptical machine and decided it was time:
20191223_224234.jpg

It's really just a mock up at this point, but that's what I needed to get me motivated.
20191223_235628.jpg

Nothing has really even been cleaned yet, and many of the fasteners aren't even close to right, but holy heck it's starting to look like a bike. And a Coppertone Fastback at that.

Trying to get inspired for a name for this thing. It hasn't come to me yet.

Ahhhhh. I never feel like an update has been properly documented till I have some white garage door shots.
20191224_080238.jpg
20191224_080307.jpg
20191224_080316.jpg
20191224_080322.jpg
20191224_080352.jpg

I think I like the goofy seat. My other choice at the moment is a plain white cheap Chinese Fleabay knockoff I bought new a few years ago, but I think this gives the whole project a little more personality, partly because of the wacky colors and partly because it's crusty like the rest of the bike.

Keep the seat for sure! Adds a little 'candy' flavor to that sweet machine! This is an attention grabber all the way around. Dig it.

kool-christmas.jpg

Latest posts

Back