Coppertone Paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Has anybody ever been able to match up the paint from a Coppertone Schwinn and get paint made? I know that HyperFormance sells paint made from NOS paint but $45 for a can of spray paint is crazy.

I bought a 67' Schwinn Deluxe Racer a while back with a junk frame but there's perfect paint under the headbadge and on the fork from inside the head-tube. I talked to one of the instructors at my school to see about getting a match done from the fork since they get a discount on paint.

I was just wondering if anybody has ever had any luck doing it that way? I cant find the code for it anywhere and I've seen a lot of guys get really close to the color.

Give me about a week and I may be able to get the PPG paint code for it,I finally have a piece big enuff to get scanned, it's from a 1981 Schwinn exerciser, it looks like really fine metalflake in the paint compared to the early 1960's whitch didn't have the metalflake but I'm hoping they can still be able to come up with the correct match

It's a "candy" process, meaning a transparent colored tint over a metallic silver base coat. Not an easy thing to do for a rookie. Search for "candy" paints and you'll probably find some options. After doing that, the $45 spray can may not sound so bad. :D

I got the piece scanned today and the match that I was given is A55 918165 which is a metalic color used by Nissan(coincidently this is the no. 3 color that Sensor had listed in the other viewtopic as a possible close match) we even took the paint chip and the part outside in the natural bright sunlight and it did in fact match perfectly.Keep in mind that you will have to use a bright silver basecoat underneath just like Schwinn did and if you put the color on thick it will be darker. Price(this may vary some in certain parts of the country) $39.55 per pint (enuff to do 2 bikes) , $23.73 per 1/2 pint (enuff to do 1 bike) and 12 oz. spray cans were $26.43 for 1 or if I took 2 or more they would be about $20 per can, shelf life on the 12 oz. spray cans would be about 1 year unless they got frozen. Oh yea the part I had scanned was from a Mint condition Schwinn XR-7 exercise bike that had always been kept indoors and had never been subjected to any sun fade, feel free to make this a sticky if it will help other people

Herman said:
I got the piece scanned today and the match that I was given is A55 918165 which is a metalic color used by Nissan(coincidently this is the no. 3 color that Sensor had listed in the other viewtopic as a possible close match) we even took the paint chip and the part outside in the natural bright sunlight and it did in fact match perfectly.Keep in mind that you will have to use a bright silver basecoat underneath just like Schwinn did and if you put the color on thick it will be darker. Price(this may vary some in certain parts of the country) $39.55 per pint (enuff to do 2 bikes) , $23.73 per 1/2 pint (enuff to do 1 bike) and 12 oz. spray cans were $26.43 for 1 or if I took 2 or more they would be about $20 per can, shelf life on the 12 oz. spray cans would be about 1 year unless they got frozen. Oh yea the part I had scanned was from a Mint condition Schwinn XR-7 exercise bike that had always been kept indoors and had never been subjected to any sun fade, feel free to make this a sticky if it will help other people

Sweet. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back