Custom high flange coaster brake hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First run of high flange coasters are almost done. This is the hub mocked up with the new parts.

Wow!! Nice work!
If anybody ever needs one of these hubs, i'm willing to mail them to you, we sell them at my work.
But dont know how much shipping is from Holland to the US...
Frank

Haha no we sell the normal ones... i wish we had the high flange! I'd put them in every bike i owned!
I figured.... Do you know anything about the Velosteel company, though? All of the US distributors have sold out of everything but 32hole, and apparently, Velosteel in the Czech Republic is either not making the hubs anymore, or just not sending them to the US. I got a few, but they're my favorit(e) current(?) production coaster hub.... I'd definitely be interested in grabbing a few spares..

Velosteel does not make a high flange version. I am making them for sale and to match my existing front hubs. The first Velosteel high flange hub was made by Bikeguy (Guy) with the assistance of my friend and riveted hub expert Amir in Israel. I am taking a stock Velosteel and adding my own parts to it. This makes a very cool but very expensive hub. I am getting my Velosteel hubs from Bikeguy and supplying him with finished high flange hubs. If Velosteel makes it hard to source hubs in the US I have a customer in Germany on the Czech border who can source hubs for me.

The only thing i know about Velosteel is that it's a reproduction of a Favorit hub that another company used to make, from back in the days before Shimano made coasterbrake hubs. The design was almost
the same except for the internal brake part, that was made of brass( Velosteel uses steel so they sometimes make noise if it's not greased enough ) and it wore down pretty fast if you didnt use the right grease, but then you could order every single part loose so when it did you could just rebuild the hub instead of replacing the complete internal assembly.
This is one i have laying around for quite a while.
pyvuze7u.jpg

Nowadays here in Holland they only come in cheaper bikes but i like em because they have chrome hubs. :cool:
And they are a lot cheaper then Shimano;)

Frank

C.P.Odom: I know Velosteel doesn't make the high-flange hubs, but I thought maybe Frankie had some Dutch connection for ppl doing similar drillium high-flange custom jobs ;) I like to dream big, y'know? The fears I have about Velosteel is that Guy's site (elegantwheels) is only showing 32h, and he put a message up that "resupply is uncertain". :13: Guy's "competition", coasties.com, only has 32h hubs as well. So, that's scary, for all of us coaster brake enthusiasts. Have you heard anything about US distribution?

Frankie, weird that they're cheaper than Shimano over there. Here, elegantwheels was getting like $50 USD shipped for'm, and coasties was getting like $70. Meanwhile, Shimano cb-e110s sell for a bit less than $20 USD, usually. KT's are ever cheaper. I think Shimanos provide better braking, but the Velosteels coast better and look much nicer. Mostly, I like the threaded driver on the Velosteel. Plus, the cb-e110's press-on flanges scare me a little.... Yeah, as far as I can tell, Velosteel bought the tooling from Favorit, and Favorit bought it from Fichtel & Sachs, and the hub is technically very similar to the old F&S Torpedo singlespeed coaster hub. That same design was found in vintage Sturmey-Archers, Perry hubs, and a few others. I find that the Velosteel hubs are finicky in regards to lubrication--- heavily greased, they don't engage properly, but under-greased, they make noise and braking suffers. I use some oil on the rollers, and grease in the balls.... seems to be the recipe for success, but even still, I feel like I gotta repack the Velosteels too often.....

The first hub shell is finished being riveted together and the brake arm and brake strap have been polished. Just a few more details left to finish like electro chemical etching the brake arm logo.

The first hub shell is finished being riveted together and the brake arm and brake strap have been polished. Just a few more details left to finish like electro chemical etching the brake arm logo.

Oh man, if nothing else make those brake arm straps available... too cool (well all of it, but I figure I should be able to afford the straps!)!:thumbsup:

Oh man, if nothing else make those brake arm straps available... too cool (well all of it, but I figure I should be able to afford the straps!)!:thumbsup:
Mike, no problem selling the brake arm straps, well one problem: they are not cheap. They are laser cut and hand polished stainless steel and would retail for around $25 each.

Back