cutting a design in a sprocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a solid bmx style sprocket and was wondering if i could dremel out a flur de leis in the middle of it, this is assuming i leave enough material on the outer rim, i'll put up pics as i design it.

i was thinking using the cut off wheels for most of it, then misc. grinding and sanding stones and such for fine tuning.

Call a welding shop. See if they have a plasma cutter. They could cut the rough shape and then you could fine tune it. Save a heck of a lot of time.

yea, but no place around me has a laser table, at least no place that doesn't make govt. bombs. And the machine shop is wayyyyy behind and isn't taking any small jobs.

Get yourself a POS jigsaw and some metal cutting blades, then its a lil filing or some small stones to clean it up.

that sounds like a good idea.

Heh, once you try cutting 1/8" steel with a jigsaw you'll soon find out they aren't meant for doing that. You can but it is not easy at all.

ScannedImage.jpg

This is the design i have so far. Its going to be cut into this...

41YGTDZRPtL._SS500_.jpg

The small little sections will be the hard part, probably a dremel with a carbide bit after drilling a pilot hole. Is there a reason you put the locking hole on the side, I'd move it to the center of the bottom portion to make the side cut out easier.

nope, just for looks... but your idea makes tons more sense

If I was going to do it I would punch , and drill all around the edge and take out the big part and either file of grind out the rest.

Uncle Stretch said:
If I was going to do it I would punch , and drill all around the edge and take out the big part and either file of grind out the rest.

I thought about this too. This would probably be the easiest way.

Latest posts

Back