Cykerz

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I grew up on motorcycles, everyone immediately thinks that I'm taliking motorcycles when I mention "Bikes". It has always pissed me off that bikers are motocycle guys and cyclists is generic for any bike riders. I consider a cyclist to be a spandex/latex clad roadie person, NOT what we do. So a few months back I decided to do something about it! I don't know if it will catch on but at least it will conjure up some question as to what a "Cyker" is and that leads to all things good for our hobby!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cyker

Chainsaw.... I agree that the term "Cyclist" tends to bring up images of spandex shorts, stupid-looking helmets and skinny tires..... and that is NOT us! Believe me when I say that you'll NEVER catch me with a chamois-lined crotch!

It doesn't bother me that "bikers" are motorcycle folks..... they've been called that for as long as I can remember. (In fact, i love all of the old B-Grade Biker movies.... like "Werewolves on Wheels" and "Wild on Sunset Strip" but that's a different topic..)

AND I do see the need for a good name, which we really don't have at present. 'Rat-rodders" is descriptive, but since it's borrowed from Hot-rodding.... it's still not OURS.

But "cykerz" doesn't do it fo me..... it sounds like a video game, or maybe a hack-n-slash movie title.

I know that in the early years of bike-riding, there were a large number of folks who went blasting through New York City's central park at break-neck speed... much like a few of us have been known to do in our own neighborhoods. The newspapers called them "Scorchers" since they "burned up the streets as they went..."

Since I kinda LIKE blasting around like a maniac, I could see adopting the name "Scorcher"....

Tornado, I quess everyone has their own ideas of what's what and that's cool with me. I know about the term "scorchers" but that too was pulled over into the motorcycle end of transportation, at least around our parts. Also many hotrodders have used it as club names or to decribe their cars. And the other version of "scorchers" used in my area, was for the idiots that would go out and start barn fires and torch crops!
I quess were both showing our ages or at least that we know a little history! :lol:

Thanks for the response,
Chainsaw

well like on our club jackets it says "bike & car club". i dont call myself a biker these are bikes but i do admire you comming up with a new term that must have taken a few to come up with :D

Latest posts

Back