Danimal gets his Dream Bike ~ His Dad's first bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
Ok, so the story goes something like this. Many years ago Big Dan aka Danimal makes a plea for an Elgin Twin Bar 20, 40, 60. One just like his dad had as a kid. For whatever reason, be it money, timing, luck or the forces of the schwantz he can never consummate the deal. This morning at the anuual Monson, MA Antique bike show and swap Dan and I hook up bright and early. OK so it was still dark and required flashlights to guide us through the swap. Off to the side right next to the doors of the granite auditorium that holds the show is an Elgin 20. Dan asks "how Much?" the gentleman says "I got $600 on it. Bought it for $550 from a guy I followed home from the Trexlertown swap last Fall. I would take $500 for it. Dan looks at me, we look the bike over, check whats missing, whats wrong, what it needs. Discuss price between us. Dan says " I should offer him $400" We talk a little more and then we decide to walk around some more. About an hour later i was doing my own thing and Dan was inside talking to someone. I took 4 - $100 bills out of my wallet and show the guy the cash and ask if he would take it. He thought about it for about 10 seconds and says "Sure". I take the bike - do a quick search of the front area and no sight of Dan. Tell my self i gotta get it in the car ASAP before Dan spots me and the bike together! As i am loading the bike i turn around and there is Dan looking for the bike and asking the seller where it went? Who bought it? The guy says "Your buddy who bought the long spring seat just came and bought it!" Dan was like what the @$@$(^!!!!!!! He turns around and see me closing the trunk of the van. He was like no freakin way! He was like how much? I told him $400. Then to rub it in since the fork on the Elgin 20 was incorrect for the bike I turned around and bought a Monark springer for a girls bike that had the right head tube length and told him I found the perfect fork to replace the wrong one. Will make a great custom bike! To this Dan was like there is no way you are gonna desecrate that bike by putting the wrong fork on it. That thing is a work of art. So a little while later a few of us are talking and Dan walks up to within ear shot and I say " Yeah, sold the Elgin 20 for $800. Made a nice little profit! Dan was like yeah , you did real good if you made that much! i was like no just bustin' your ...!!! To which we all got a good laugh. So Dan says lets have a little chat. I tell look Dan, i thought about it and got an impulse to buy the bike knowing that you would spend the $400 for it, but for some reason you didn't pull the trigger. I did and if you want it just give me what i paid for it. He thought about for maybe two minutes and said, sure I will take it. So Big Dan is now happy! We chat about how cool it will be to do it up and give it to his Dad. Really make him get emotional. And for Dan, he will eventually end up with the bike anyway, so not a big deal in the long run. The money changes hand and the deal is done. Or are we done dealing yet???

Tankalot and KZ1000 and I are standing around Ricks swap spot and his pair of matching Elgins. Tanks says I really want this bike and I would probably keep the wheelset and sell the rest. To which I think Rick was a little hesitant but dead presidents in your pocket always feels good. So I stepped in and helped them decide if the parting the bike out made financial sense and did the parts that Dan needed -fork, truss rod and fenders fit his new Elgin 20. We had winner!!!!! Rick gets his cash, bike was parted out like vultures on a dead carcass. No stuck bolts and just enough tools to get it all apart. No searching for the right parts for Dan, Tanks gets the cool boat light and Stewart Warner floating hubset wheelset and the rest gets broomed. Every wins! So you say, except me as I spent $400 and then got it back and was out a cool bike. Believe me, knowing Dan got the bike of his dreams and knowing what his plans are for the bike made it all worthwhile!

Plus i bought a 1942 war time Elgin Roadster with some very rare hubs and some some other cool blackout parts. Story to be continued!

Hopefully Dan adds pictures to this post so you can see the evidence!

Joe

Great story JOE ! , all ways thought you were a cool dude just by the few pms i've gotten from you in the past , now i know what kinda dude you are ! and my congrats to Dan , hope to see some pic,s of the work of art soon......

Ralph

Ok, a few things....

I don't think the Elgin Twin was my dad's first bike, but he did have one at some point. Said he and his brother used to jump it off ramps and the frame kept cracking. Their uncle was a welder so it was ok. :lol:

In any case, I have always wanted one to fix up and take on local pub crawls and give my dad a chance to ride it too. The reason I never did is quite simple...they are expensive. This one popped up today and the frame looked good and solid. The front shroud was there as was the crank shroud...that was the good news. The wheels are a spray bomb mess, the seat is a newer POS, and the fork and fenders are all wrong. Luckily I found the right fork and "kinda" the right fenders for it. Still all said and done, it is by far the most I have spent on an old bike and it's gonna take some work to make it right. I'll take some pics later...I'm hitting the sack real soon.

And thanks to Joe for buying and then selling the bike. Once I finish it, it will make the trip to my dad's house to see if he wants to keep it (on loan if you will).

Dan

Some Pics are now in the Events section on the Monson Show.. It had a longer thread on this so I put the parted out bike picks there.. :D
PS wow yeshoney that was a long story it should have been a novel that is one of the longest post Ive read on this site.. :D ..

Latest posts

Back