Dating Bendix Hubs??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a obscure dutch town bike that looks late 40's or early 50's but it has a bendix hub on it that is prior to the rb. It is just silver and has the elmira stamp with a basic bendix brake arm. The only numbers stamped on the hub are 13 and 40 next to each other. Anybody know that year?? Im really trying to date the bicycle to be honest.

Have you tried Match.com or eHarmony??? :p

lol... you'll have to excuse him.

Unfortunately, the 13-40 is not any sort of dating system but signifies that the hub is drilled for 40 spokes at the standard 13 gauge. Interesting that a European bike had an american coaster brake but the euro bikes were known for their 3-speeds since they housed the great Sturmey-Archer company. 40 spokes was standard for rear wheels across the pond with 32h fronts.. versus the american standard of 36-36.

If it still is stamped Elyria, OH then I'd say it is on the earlier end of the Bendix spectrum. I had always thought that Bendix swallowed Morrow in 1950 but, in searching around, I see that Bendix began producing coaster brakes in '46. So there was some crossover time. BUT! The original Bendix was produced from '46-'61 when the Red Band was then introduced. Doesn't narrow it much.. but hey! Here's a neat scan I found.

Bendix_RB.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist after seeing the subject.

Jpromo said:
If it still is stamped Elyria, OH then I'd say it is on the earlier end of the Bendix spectrum.

The earliest Bendix hubs were made in Elyria, OH? So when did Bendix buy out Eclipse Machining and move to Elmira, NY. ? Gary

The Bendix main headquarters was in Elyria, so speculation led me to believe that they were made there initially but I just found a fascinating page that clears it all up! Eclipse Machine was always a division of the Bendix corporation. Morrow was their namesake hub but in 1946, the Bendix brake was introduced as a simpler, yet, more advanced hub. The Morrow was phased out by '50-51 for its preferred counterpart. It explains the crossover period and everything. Go history.

1946bendix.jpg

Bendix's association with Elmyra Machine dates back to 1914 and Elmyra was building bicycle brakes before that. Another little known fact is that General Motors owned a portion of Bendix Corp from 1924 to 1944. Components for both Morrow and New Departure brakes were produced in the same factory during this time. Thanks!!!

That's interesting.. I didn't know GM was invested there as well.. I knew New Departure was a division of GM until 1953 when there was a factory flood and it was deemed unworthy of being salvaged.

Latest posts

Back