derusting my rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back in from my shop and i have a big friction burn on my hand from rubbing the rust off my rims on my 1983 ross. Has that ever happened to any of you guys?

I wear leather gloves now,before,my hands were always stained with dirt,oil and grease. Underneath my fingers would remain stained,even after cutting my nails. Then,I was laid up for a year,cause of a motorcycle wreck, & that's when my hands got clean! And I liked it! So,it's gloves for me now,and my hands stay clean!

i tryed the glove idea before and i kept getting them stuck it parts like the chain and stuff but with the rims i was probably pretty stupid for not wearing gloves. :mrgreen:

Sometimes it's tough getting to the tight spots with gloves on.
Are the spokes still there?
Do you have a dremel or other rotary tool? One of those with a sanding disk works quite well. If that's not an option, I've used popsicle sticks or wooden dowels with the sand paper wrapped around them to take the friction off my fingers.

yeah the spokes are all still there. I dont have any power tools,I like to work with my hands ( And i cant afford many power tools) The econamy is pretty bad. Anyway i hadnt thought of the popsicle stick before. I use tin foil. I saw it on the internet. Anyway ill try that. THANKS :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D

Welcome! Sometimes during bike builds I've sanded so much that I no longer left any fingerprints. :lol:

Latest posts

Back