detail a bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(for paint)wax and grease remover,3m's 3000 series rubbing compound,3m's finishing glaze, and meguires carnuba wax.(for chrome) brass brush,0000 steel wool and wd40 and hours and hours of spare time :roll:

Goo Gone (on the hubs and greasy metal parts)

Bar Keeper's Friend and a toothbrush, q-tips.

Wax

Brasso

Dremmel with a wire brush attachment

Taking stuff apart is the key to getting it really clean, hit it at the car wash first, blast all of the grime off, take apart stuff and really clean behind, between...why it's called "detailing", it takes time but the extra effort is worth it.

I recently got hold of a Yamaha Moto-Bike that's been stored for the last 30 years, and thought I'd try using hand cleaner to take off the grimey grease that had oozed out of the headset and BB. I was so surprised by how well it worked that I decided to use it all over. You'd be amazed what it does on the tires. Once it's clean, I used chrome polish and 0000 steel wool on rusty chrome. Mother's carnuba wax worked for the paint. Oh, and I took off the wheels, cranks, tires to clean and polish. The headset and rear hub I didn't take apart yet.

i use gritty hand cleaners like fast orange to clean up grimy rubber grips (it cleans your hands at the same time !!!), does pretty good and leaves them smelling nice too. :lol:

Latest posts

Back