Diagonal Drive

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I built a diagonal drive (retro direct) bike, the forward gearing is 44-16 and when you backpedal you get a forward gear of 44-22. It's pretty weird to ride at first while your backpedaling and going forward but then it seems normal, I still need to figure out how to wheelie while pedaling backwards :D

100_7144.jpg

100_7146.jpg

100_7145.jpg

100_7147.jpg

I like it. I saw Retro Direct a couple of years ago but never got into making one. Good to see you were able to get the chain figured out with out having to change the chainstay. Is your 22t a stock freewheel?

The 22T is a Dicta BMX freewheel, I tried other brands (ACS, Shimano) but they had a lip on the end to for the freewheel tool to remove them, Dicta freewheels don't have a lip and they're threading all the way through so you can thread a bottom bracket cup into one side then thread the rest of the freewheel on to the hub.

The gearing is pretty good but I did think about fabing a larger cog on to the freewheel for more of a difference between the two gears.

Latest posts

Back