did NOT buy it for the frame!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
swayback-old-horse.jpg

Trek Lime has the same drivetrain, as well as a Schwinn version. I think they all were out around 2008-09 but they didn't catch on because they were expensive ($5-600). I tried to go look at a Trek for $125 2 weeks ago but couldn't hook up with the seller, then saw the Schwinn at a LBS for the same price. Was told the drivetrain is hard, if not impossible, to swap to a different bike. Nothing is impossible to Rat-Rodders, but I got busy and haven't revisited the idea.

chain is stamped Shimano both sides, no model # to be found. I've seen these around but don't know any details.

as far as retrofitting this to another bike, the wires are internally routed but I imagine the rear one is just a cable that can be detached, the front should also, after that it's just nuts and bolts..

I haven't personally taken one apart, but I think you might find that the fork and dropouts are designed specifically for these hubs. I would be happy if you prove me wrong though. I do know through reading that tire changes are not a simple "remove two bolts" affair, it's more complicated than that, another drawback to the bike.

At any rate, would love to hear what you find after disassembling. The Trek that is local to me is down to $100 now on CL.

rear drop outs appear to be rear facing horizontal, axle diameter looks standard. I'm in the middle of another project so until that is done I cant bring another into the basement. I am curious though. If I need to make drop outs so these will fit a vintage fame, that's doable. I paid $100.

Latest posts

Back