DLP TV Question-Who Wants to give me opinion-Poll

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What to do with the TV?

• Ditch it

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Replace the Lamp

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Situation

Ive been shopping around for a TV...Nothing to be found cheap enough for me

My 32" Tube is...Dying or something-Brown spots are forming and growing in the corners-only visible in white areas...or light areas.

The edges are blurring-im assuming because it is not a flat screen.

BUT

I was at my cousins house, and i noticed his old 2004 50"Samsung DLP Rear projection on a pedastal blah blah blah was out in the garage. He had upgraded, and the Lamp in it died anyways.

He told me if i wanted to buy it, i could buy it...$100
$150 for the lamp

So, I was interested...kicked the idea around...And he ended up giving me the TV for free. I got it home...believe it or not.

Heres the real situation:

It needs the lamp...I knew this. But people are getting me worried. They say the lamp looks fine, and it may be the power thing(forgot the name!) but then they said the filament separated from where its supposed to be, so it could have broken.

The cousin said the TV works, when he plugs it in, The little screen just pops up with the "Bulb replacement" thing. He said it worked great, until he moved it and the lamp blew...

SO

Should i drop the money-try a lamp and enjoy the new tv(if it works)

or should i avoid dealing with the tv and ditch it....

Its already in my room...And my back cant feel any worse.

I turned off the TV cable 10 years ago... best move I ever made!

nothing but trash spews from that idiot box... :roll:

I work in the audio/video industry

my opinion.:dont buy the dlp.

Big chances are that the lamp will not be available anymore since its a 2004 and honnestly i dont think it will be 150$ for that lamp..more likely 250$ to 400$...

the message that appear is because the lamp has passes its maximum lenght of time wich is usually 1000h..some other are 1500h. they will still work pass the time limit but the brighness/contrast will be very very low(in dlp projectors brighness always go down as the lamp ages, at 500h you are at about 1/2 brigtness of what it was new) .

at 400$ you can get a good lcd 32" tv that will last over 60 0000h...
so if you buy your tv at 100 +250$ for a lamp, you are at 350$ for an old crap that will required to have a lamp change every 1000h....
to me its not worth it

I'd say for the $150 you'd spend on a lamp taking a chance on it working, you could find one on C-list that WORKS. Also look at the local pawn shops and second hand stores. I got my 54" at the local second hand store for $175 and it's worked fine for 5 years.

Latest posts

Back