Does anyone know what year this Murray might be?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This bike is so rusted that I don't see a serial number anymore. I know it's '60's but I'm just wondering if someone had at least a close guess? Also, how do you go about getting a neck off that is siezed into the steering tube?

start with lots of penetrating fluid. From the top and flip the bike over and add more from below. The wedge is surely the hangup. The stem is chrome plated and is probably not stuck. Loosen the bolt about 1/4 to 3/8" and tap it with a hammer. use a block of wood if you don't want it nicked up. You may have to hit the bolt head pretty hard to knock the wedge loose. leave the wheel and bars on for leverage once you get the wedge loose.

start with lots of penetrating fluid. From the top and flip the bike over and add more from below. The wedge is surely the hangup. The stem is chrome plated and is probably not stuck. Loosen the bolt about 1/4 to 3/8" and tap it with a hammer. use a block of wood if you don't want it nicked up. You may have to hit the bolt head pretty hard to knock the wedge loose. leave the wheel and bars on for leverage once you get the wedge loose.
Okay thank you!

1960's is about as close as you can get without a serial number or decals. Murray made these for countless retailers such as department stores, gas stations, tire companies, hardware stores. Could have been one of a dozen or hundreds of brand names or models. I don't think anyone knows how many customers Murray had. 62 to 66 looks like the range but it could have continued in to the 1970s. Some details could be changed to suit the retailers like the shape/style of the tanks or racks. Different seats were possible. And decals and names. The basic bike would be the same. Some retailers go their own serial number systems too. Sears usually added a 3 digit prefix to indicate the supplier. Most retailers didn't have catalogs or decent photos to catch the details. JC Penney and Sears had the catalogs but many of the images are drawings or are just too low rez.

1960's is about as close as you can get without a serial number or decals. Murray made these for countless retailers such as department stores, gas stations, tire companies, hardware stores. Could have been one of a dozen or hundreds of brand names or models. I don't think anyone knows how many customers Murray had. 62 to 66 looks like the range but it could have continued in to the 1970s. Some details could be changed to suit the retailers like the shape/style of the tanks or racks. Different seats were possible. And decals and names. The basic bike would be the same. Some retailers go their own serial number systems too. Sears usually added a 3 digit prefix to indicate the supplier. Most retailers didn't have catalogs or decent photos to catch the details. JC Penney and Sears had the catalogs but many of the images are drawings or are just too low rez.
Thanks for the info!

Back