Does your Sting-Ray have a great life story?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again. Still a newbie but grateful to the RadRod members who helped me with a story about a Vista Torino.

In my research on the Torino, I discovered and fell in love with the story of the Sting-Ray. I love how it was not created by adults or the bike industry, but by KIDS in their quest for muscle-car cool. I love how it was then adapted to jump homemade ramps made of cinder blocks and plywood, to try to be like Evel Knievel, and thus evolved into BMX. Again, thanks to kids! I'm of the post-Sting-Ray generation (my first bike was a red Schwinn 10-speed that I rode to school every day) but no bike seems to epitomize the freedom of childhood like the Sting-Ray.

So in my new obsession, I'm looking for a Sting-Ray with a great story -- and an owner who'd be willing to share it with me for a magazine feature. Maybe it was one bike owned by three generations of the same family. Or a bike sold/discarded by a teenager who eventually grew up and repurchased it years later. Or a bike that has had at least three different owners who I could track down and interview about what the bike meant to them. A Sting-Ray is a vehicle for so much more than a ride. Kind of like the Giving Tree (the Shel Silverstein book) was for her boy.

I'm a rider by avocation and a writer by vocation. You can vet my stories here: kimhcross.wordpress.com. I write for Bike and Bicycling, but I could see this going out to a broader audience - like an airline magazine or men's mag. I'd also love to own a Sting-Ray one day and add it to the quiver (XC, CX, road, BMX, cruiser). And let my 8-year-old son ride it (maybe).

Cheers and thanks for any help you can give me!

Also... here's a cute little bike I ran across in the new recyclery in Birmingham. I told them I'd ask how much they should price it for. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    389.8 KB · Views: 299
Prices vary, but I'd say $150.

As for a bike story, I don't have a deep enough story to do a piece on, but I found out a farmer near me had a girl's bike for sale. He was doing a barn clean out. It turns out it was his wife's bike. An October 1972 Schwinn Sting Ray 'Fair Lady' 3-speed. She rode it until she was about 12 or so, and they parked it in the barn in the late 70's. He wanted to make sure it would go to a good home. I told him it would be for my daughter, and I'd bring it back to life. She loves it, and loves to ride it.

Here's the build thread on it: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/72-schwinn-fair-lady-restoration-complete.85597/

f61u.jpg

7cOuhP.jpg

Crash, I checked out your restoration thread, and that is truly AMAZING! I can hardly believe the difference between before and after. And the photos of your daughter riding it -- wow. What a cool thing you did, and awesome that she appreciates it. Really makes me want to try at least cleaning the Fair Lady for the recyclery. But I don't have your skills.

I'd love to hear more about the farmer and his wife who had the bike in their barn. Are you still in touch? Do you think they would be willing to tell me their story (on the phone)? I'd love to hear about how his wife got the bike, how she rode it, and how your daughter rides it now.

Maybe I could weave a bunch of stories together for this Sting-Ray story. I hope others chime in. It's really neat to hear how bikes get new lives as they are passed along.

(And: newbie question, is a Fair Lady a girl's model of a Sting-Ray?)

(And: newbie question, is a Fair Lady a girl's model of a Sting-Ray?)
Yes. If you look at the chain guard closer it says "Sting Ray" on it. However, we never call them Sting Rays. That name is generally reserved for the boy's version.

I haven't contacted the farmer, but have meant to. I was going to take the bike and my daughter out there to show them, though I never told them I was going to do that.

I have a few stingrays. I don't know a lot of the history on most of them. They all seem pretty well behaved, you'd guess they all came from good homes. They don't start fights with each other. There might be a little jealousy between them at times. Whichever one I'm riding or working on gets to sleep in the living room.
20160520_151537.jpg
20160430_181307.jpg
The green one is currently in the living room.

image.jpg
I just purchased a 1966 Stingray Fastback that I'm positive has a great story to tell! Although, I can only tell you what I see has happened to it.
It was hacksawed in half, cables included... and they didn't stop there. The front tire was cut off n half way through the rim, and the back tire suffered the same thing only worse.
Someone, not a professional not even a good novice, ground down and welded it back together and slightly crooked.
I'm in the process of making it rideable again. Redoing only moving parts, bearings, dérailleur, free wheeler. New chain, tires n cables. The patina has to stay!!
I could give you the eBay name of the person I bought it from. He may or may not know the rest of the story...... Bernie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 330
The one that got me started... In January 2013 I was helping a friend clean out his basement. I have a pickup, he doesn't... I moved a couple boxes, and see sitting around the corner in all of its glory, a yellow bike with a tall sissy bar and a small front wheel. On closer inspection, I could see the words "Lemon Peeler" on the chain guard. "Whooa Joe, what's that!" Oh, that is the bike I got for Christmas in 1971. I wanted the Grey Ghost. Williams Cycle down the street had one in the window. I came down Christmas morning to see a bicycle shaped present. "I got it! I got it! The Grey Ghost!" I start frantically ripping the paper off. To my dismay, it was yellow. What 10 year old wants a yellow bike! It's a F@#$% Lemon Peeler... Lucky for me, my buddy Richie's older brother Frankie had one. Frankie was the toughest kid on the block. No one messed with him, therefore, no one ever teased me about my pretty yellow bike. You want it? its yours.

It is an all original 1971 Lemon Peeler with an after market 48" oval hoop sissy bar. He even saved the original shock sissy bar. Bike is in excellent shape, I am proud to own it, along with the 45 odd friends it now has.

There's a story for you...

madsapper, that's a fabulous story! It so reminds me of the Red Ryder BB gun in A Christmas Story! Of COURSE the toughest kid on the block was named Frankie. That's too perfect. Would you and Joe be willing to tell me more on the phone?

So that was the bike that got you into restoring? How did you learn? I'm thinking it would be fun but other than cleaning and doing basic maintenance I would not know where to start...

Odder, that is quite an impressive quiver! And what a project in that next one. What makes you look at a bike like that and see hope? I wonder if the guy you bought it from knows the story. Would be cool to reach out if you don't mind sharing the username (or, would it be better form for you to message him and ask first?). I don't want to make anyone feel stalked!

Kim

IMG_1959.jpg
Here is a pic of the Lime bike in my previous post in as found condition. My friend found it cleaning out an old property in northern Kansas. He asked if I could use it. His dad brought it down to me. It was in really rough shape. It took months to get the seat post out. Anyway, the frame, fork and chainguard were all I could save. The rest I bought from friends or had on hand. Had a friend in town paint it camaros synergy green. I really like how it turned out.

View attachment 32683 Here is a pic of the Lime bike in my previous post in as found condition. My friend found it cleaning out an old property in northern Kansas. He asked if I could use it. His dad brought it down to me. It was in really rough shape. It took months to get the seat post out. Anyway, the frame, fork and chainguard were all I could save. The rest I bought from friends or had on hand. Had a friend in town paint it camaros synergy green. I really like how it turned out.

OMG, are you serious? How is that even possible? Okay... tell me about the three lights, and the component that is attached to the front fender, that puts those chrome bars out front? And the noose on the sissy bar?

OMG, are you serious? How is that even possible? Okay... tell me about the three lights, and the component that is attached to the front fender, that puts those chrome bars out front? And the noose on the sissy bar?
There are 3 lights on the bike in this pic because I hadn't wired up the 2 chrome ones yet and in order to ride after dark I needed a light because I don't want to get hit or a ticket. The thing on the front wheel is a Bill Matthews nerf bar (bumper). It now has the proper rear bumper too. The hangman noose sissy bar is a reproduction of the Bill Matthews Hangman made by my friend in California. He made a short run of them and they are amazingly accurate. Both of the wheels and fenders were replaced. Parts of the shifter were saved too. If you'd like to see some of my other bikes and custom seats check me out on instagram. @Odder_art www.instagram.com/odder_art

Odder, that is quite an impressive quiver! And what a project in that next one. What makes you look at a bike like that and see hope? I wonder if the guy you bought it from knows the story. Would be cool to reach out if you don't mind sharing the username (or, would it be better form for you to message him and ask first?). I don't want to make anyone feel stalked!

Kim
Kim: I contacted the guy I bought the rusty cut up 66 black fastback from. A friend of his salvaged it from a recycling center in Kentucky
Looks like it's faith will remain an unsolved mystery.
I was road yesterday

image.jpg
Sorry posted by mistake.....
I road it yesterday and couldn't help wonder how many years I'd sat just rusting away....... Bernie
BTW: if anyone needs a new home for a rusted out 66 5 speed shifter
LMK

I bought my Dec. '68 Pea Picker for $20 from a friend who owns a bike shop,he said he bought it complete after it had sat under a porch for countless years. He bought it for the high dollar parts (shifter,chainguard,front drum brake hub) then the carcass sat in the back of his shop for a few years. I was by there showing him one of my projects and he mentioned I might swap it onto a different frame and added that he had a krate frame in the back he'd sell me cheap. After crawling over a few bikes in various stages of repair we reach the back wall and he pulls this out of the bottom of a shelving unit. Didn't take long to make a deal and I threw it in the back of my truck and carried it home. I've since got it rideable and taken it to some car shows (where it drew more attention than some of the cars) and just generally enjoyed probably the only krate I'll ever own.
IMG_20160430_195505127.jpg
IMG_20160510_194513.jpg

cool save i bet witha little evaporust and soem scrubbing all that chrome would come clean if you were wanting to do so
I've tried just about everything and that's as clean as I can get it without using stuff that would strip the chrome off. I kinda like how it looks,not alot of krate's that haven't been nut and bolt restored out there.

9277_10151075005556016_195735724_n.jpg
Old post I know, but...

I got into Schwinns through Lowrider Magazine, believe it or not. My older brother used to buy that magazine when I was about 11 or 12 years old. They used to feature a lowrider bike every month.

I had never heard of a stingray, but I wanted one, and I wanted to build a lowrider. This was San Diego, CA in the early/mid 1990s. I tried to locate a stingray, but back then it was hard. I was basically searching the classified ads in the news paper and going to swap meets.

I didn't find one at this time, but I found a Chinese made copy of a stingray/lowrider frame at a swap meet so I bought it and started building a lowrider bike.

Shortly after, around 1994 I moved with my family to Yuma, AZ. I again started searching swap meets and classifieds for parts to build my lowrider. At some point I had forgotten about trying to locate a stingray. I just happened to be at a estate sell looking at stuff with my parents, I didn't see anything interesting inside the house or garage. Then as we were leaving, on the side of the house I saw some old bikes. I went back in and asked the owner, and she said she wanted $20 each. One of them was a 1969 Stingray Deluxe and it was complete, even though it was a little on the rough side.

The bike still had it's dealer decal on it. Sunrise Schwinn, Yuma Arizona. Kind of cool it had stayed here all this time.

The paint was bad. If you touched it, it would rub off in your hands. So, I took it to my dads work and he let me use the sand blaster there to strip it. I primered it red. And it sat for a bit like that.

By this time, I already had a lowrider bike and I liked the idea of keeping the schwinn stock.

Later when I was away at college, they came out with reproduction stingrays and parts. I bought a set of red grips, an apple krate seat, and a krate sissy bar. I put these on the bike.

I found some old worn pedals at a collectors place in Vallejo CA, when I lived near there. They were better than my originals so I replaced them with these.

Over the years I have done stuff to it. I relaced the wheels myself with spokes I bought on ebay. The internet sure made things easier, but it's not nearly as fun as hunting stuff down. I added a front brake set up and some other little stuff.

After hauling the bike with me to live back to San Diego, Nevada, northern California, and landing back in Yuma, AZ. I've owned this thing now for about 25 years. It's not the most original or nicest stingray, but it sure holds a lot of memories for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back