DoorK / Nodor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree Carl, that is why I suggested building a ridged rectangle for the bottom with the Heim joints at all corners. A single rod on top parallel to the bottom rectangle would form the parallelogram looking front to back.

I agree Carl, that is why I suggested building a ridged rectangle for the bottom with the Heim joints at all corners. A single rod on top parallel to the bottom rectangle would form the parallelogram looking front to back.
Still a possibility with the newer revision, subframe 2.0 but looking back at the motorbike sidecars there's no swivels on the sidecars only the bikes. So the less moving parts, the less dive at the front. I'm hopeful this will work and still be removable. Also at slower speeds than the motorbikes, I don't think I'll need to flex much front to back.

GC.

Surprised to find I'm not on page two yet. Been super busy on side work and nothing fun either so someone's going to be paying me...lol. So I snuck in a half hour cause I'm far from done. Established a centerline roughly 3 inches off the ground (blue tape) and tacked in some 1/2" id tubing to run some 1/2" rod thru for the only moving part in the subframe to bike connection. Crude should work. Subframe is all hacked up I've got plenty more work to do there too. No battery yet. No cash for one. Time is running out. Hehe, but I'm not out yet.

GC.

Attachments

• IMG_20210804_182026787.jpg
    IMG_20210804_182026787.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20210804_182038478.jpg
    IMG_20210804_182038478.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 114
I doubt I'm going to be able to finish the complete set.
The bike itself is 99% done, a bit of grinding on it, buffing off the last of the paint and it'll be ready for the Dupa-Color EFFEX clearcoat. Now if I can get some square stock and finish the subframe, it could be ready in time. But I don't have the battery and it's not going to show up before the deadline unless I shop locally and pay pay pay. Our LBS sells ebikes and he likes them a LOT, you have to give him loads of cash to part with any of it. So it's all on the back burner. I'm not going to make any excuses, it got hot and my garage is a sweatbox anyway so I stopped working on it and lost my momentum. So...
I'd like to finish the bike and continue on the subframe too we'll see, but DoorK without a door is just K

GC.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you can finish the door idea down the road. Keep plugging away though!

Ha! Down but not out!
Bike is done, still time for doodads...
Almost have the subframe v3 done but AGAIN I ran out of wire for my splatterbox. Got some pics. The Dupli-Color Effex clear coat is awesome in the sunlight. I'm highlighting the raggedy welds on purpose.
IMG_20210816_172724936_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210816_172746122_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210816_172817597_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210816_172746122_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210816_172844065_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210816_205047259.jpg

Well not rats...
This subframe isn't going to work. The door itself is just too heavy to hang out in front. So... Version whatever is up next. I'm going to put the wheel inside the door, so it'll need a complete redesign. In my head I'm thinking of creating a flat hoop frame over the top of the wheel, semi-enclosed on the left side and then cutting the door out on the inside to match. So it's a total revamp probably not much I can use from this one.

The swivels work fine but it doesn't support it's own weight without tipping nose down. It's obvious now...
IMG_20210818_183811399.jpg

GC.

It's still progress.
Keep pluggin brother!

From the ashes...

There is still some excellent work in there, and with such a narrow track you probably do not need much more than some rubber in the joints to keep both sides of the bike talking to each other, perhaps not even that if you do not mind a choppy ride. The door itself only needs enough strength to keep it rigid, not to prevent the kind of side impacts that the truck had to be designed to handle. I really, really look forward to following your progress.

I've rarely just quit on a bike and I won't quit on this one.
If we go back and look at every sidecar on the motorcycles they ALL have the wheel at the side of the weight, duh. So in retrospect it's not a lightbulb moment to realize this design will not work. I'm confident I can put the wheel in the door, cutting it out on the inside, leaving the outside skin intact. It's mostly about the look. Two outrigger arms, welded solid to the lower edge of the door frame will extend under the bike and bend back up to the centerline to make the tilt of the bike while riding to have little effect on the door itself. There's nothing new here. One of the pictures Kingfish posted earlier show this exact design with the bike tilting and the sidecar steady, and in all honesty a bike this big doesn't tilt a lot, less than a motorcycle for sure. So talk talk, it's not getting worked on till I can pickup some steel. Bike is done but the unique door isn't... yet.

GC.

my six year old's favorite word currently: persevere. You're doing it. And nicely.
Well... I'm sure part of my perseverance is based on my old legs...
I can ride this bike just fine and it is geared pretty well with the derailleur. But it is a tank of a bike and an extended cruise of any kind with the door attached would be a heck of a ride. I'm looking forward to the electric side of this build and the assist I will have hauling the door around. Plus come on, it is pretty funny looking and THAT is whole reason I'm building it, to make people laugh.

Carl.

Just saw this pic and thought it might be a good reference for you. If you search on Rokon sidecar, you'll see more examples.

1629721513999.png

Too late. Lol @kingfish254 I've been pretty busy today. The door has been cut open and an integrated frame is in progress. It's still WIP but it has to be able to open up "clamshell" to change the tire etc. The outside axle end goes thru a hole, so the inside end must be able to lift out, hence the "clamshell" idea.
IMG_20210824_162311558.jpg
IMG_20210824_141050683.jpg

IMG_20210824_113219197.jpg

This last pic shows the beginning... There's a small length of angle iron running horizontally stitched into the newly cut open (upside down) door.

GC.

Last edited:
Bike things on hold this weekend.
I'm using the garage spraying clearcoat on a guitar body.
So no grinding and welding in my impromptu spray booth...

Carl.

Doork will not be completed as a powered ebike sidehack by the 6th of September. The bike itself has been done for quite a while. But I lost momentum when I took a sidejob that has been wearing me thin. No excuses I will finish this build but as an entry in the competition it will have to be bike alone.
Any other time I'd be super to have this as my entry and I am super happy with the bike it rides well. It still feels like a letdown but "Nodor" is what it is, at this fixed point in time. Pics soon.

GC.

Still a cool bike and the DoorK idea is killer!!! This has been a great build thread to follow. Look forward to Nodor, but a future DoorK down the road!

that thing is done far as I'm concerned. Put in the Finished Bikes thread already.

Looks pretty sweet already too!
cHOP sPASM.jpg
DedMetl.jpg
Burrito1.jpg
FirstRide2.jpg
FirstRide1.jpg

Revisiting some early posts...
Muscle Spasm got chopped up and so did Dead Metal, two of my earlier builds.
My build jig was the floor of my garage
May 16th I posted the pics from my first ride on the completed frame.

Since then I've burned through a couple rolls of wire and probably 50 feet of various kinds of tubing experimenting with the "subframe" to know avail. Well there were some things I at least proved to myself... It's still going to be pretty funny when the subframe is done and I'm glad I made the decision to make it detachable. So sorry the door part of DoorK isn't done. I'll have to change the name AGAIN... But a DoorK without a door is just a K and that doesn't work for me so I borrowed a name from a Game of Thrones character and with a little twist, I changed HODOR into NODOR.

GC.

Latest posts

Back