Draino Cocktail

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a large container.....add 1/2 can of draino crystals...3 1/2 gallons of hot water
and two alloy Worksman clincher rims. Stir lightly.

I'm not sure what Worksman uses for a coating, but we are going to give this a whirl.
If its anodizing then this will work. If its powdercoated then probably not.
DSCF0001_zps121fb852.jpg

I have always used oven cleaner, but makes sense as the active ingredient is the same- Lye. Some people say not to let is sit to long as it will pit the aluminum.

Most people are lying. Its been in there for 45 minutes and it really doesn't seem to be doing much.
I do have a can of oven cleaner as a backup. I left one of the last rims I did in for several hours,
while I ran to Chucks and it cleaned the anodizing off and didn't pit anything. Maybe if you left
it for days it would.

This looks like a better deal as the Oven Cleaner sometimes drys out and multiple applications are needed.

Its taking a long time. That black anodizing would have all been off by now.
It bubbles and really looks like its taking it off , but I guess will take longer.
I bet that stuff is powder coating that Worksman uses. Its tough whatever it is.

Well Worksman does seem to be a bit "old school", ever see those "field trip" pics of the factory ? May just be a corrosion coating sprayed on there too.

You would think they would be into Powder Coating by now ...

WORKSMAN_6.jpg

WORKSMAN_7.jpg

I see a bunch of frames and stuff, but I'm betting the wheels are from Taiwan or someplace.
I might be wrong. I got one spot off ,but its taking hours to do it. Gonna be a lengthy process.

Maybe try toilet bowl cleaner? Sani-flush. Drano is made for metal drain pipes. Sani-flush is made for porcelain which will take a lot stronger compound. I don't know if it will work, but I'm betting Sani-flush is stronger than Drano by a ways. Gary

It did kinda a weird job. Some of it came off and the rest is kinda iffy. I'm going
to spray the oven cleaner on it today. I shot a little on last night and it bubbled
pretty good like it would clean the rest off. I will know in a little while.

Ok the consensus on this experiment is its not worth the effort. After spending all day
with the draino wash and then today with oven cleaner its a bad idea. If you
have a chemical and can get the Worksman coating off of their aluminum wheels, they
polish like crap. I think the aluminum they use is really hard or something.
This is a waste of money.

It was driving me crazy wondering how good a set of them would look
if they were polished. Well maybe now I will wonder what a pair of them
powder coated would look like. :lol: Maybe candy apple red. :shock:

Latest posts

Back