Dreaded Hacker Crap

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today I get an email from my brother. I opened it and it was a deal that said you could
earn a million gillion dollars from home. I was wondering why my brother who is retired too
would think I needed a job doing anything. Within a minute it sends this same crap to everybody
in my contact list. Most I haven't talked to in years. I get about 20 of the Damon Mailer things back,
from people that have changed their Email address. Then I get several from family that are wondering
why I sent them this crap. I have no idea what other information it gets, but it gets all your contact
information. You can click on your sent file and see its sent the same crap to everybody. It does a Hi Paul
or whoever it sends them to. I wish I could find the person that does this and rub his face on my keyboard
till it stops. So if you see a Hi somebody don't open it. You don't have to click on anything to have it mess
you up. The opening it gets you. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am a gentle person by nature, but I say hang 'em by their thumbs!
rant off, back to being passive natured until one of these guys messes with my email contact list. :x

I've been hacked exactly the way you described a few months ago. Yeah, it kind of stinks when "you" spam people and everyone replies back asking what the link is about, lol. Was it a Yahoo or AT&T account? (sbcglobal.net)? Mine was. I kept on changing my password and it's okay now, I think, after about 20 tries.

Tell your brother that he needs to stop visiting those "naughty" sites so he won't get hacked again, haha... Just kidding, that's just a misconception. Malware is everywhere.

Inexperienced single mother makes $100 an hour working from home! Click here to see how you can too!

:lol:

I have sbcglobal.net but my daughter said it comes from Yahoo.
I really don't know how much info the stupid thing steals. If it can
get your email list then it might can get other stuff like your paypal
account. It just came back from my cousin so I guess she is mad at me too. :oops:

Now is a good time to switch email accounts. Clean your computer if needed but don't go back to your email account. I like Gmail.

Also.......Don't Dumb Click.

Yep, my dad had to change his email address last year due to someone sending anonymous email from him. He did not actually send them but they were coming from his account. As an IT professional it sucks, but just be careful where you enter your email address and who you send stuff to. Also when forwarding stuff, remove all the header information.

schwinnmesa said:
Inexperienced single mother makes $100 an hour working from home! Click here to see how you can too!

:lol:

That's only legal in Las Vegas and third world countries. :lol:

the filtering on most web based email is janky , a good pop client would not have let that email run without you OK'ing it first..

Yeah I have a Mac and I'm not sure how you clean one of them. I also went with a Clear wireless
and won't be having At&t after next week. Guess a Gmail is the next step. About time to clean
out my contact list anyway.
You didn't have to click on anything. The minute I opened the email from my brother it got me.

Lots of times you haven't been hacked, just been scraped. FB was recently exploited and the scrapers pulled contact e-mails and names. Then the spammers used these scraped IDs to spoof e-mails. You won't find a virus on your PC if you look because it isn't there, and changing your passwords won't alter anything as your info has already been scraped.

I believe cledry is correct. They probably hacked your email account, not your PC Mac or what-ever.

best thing, is to not ever open email from a source that you don't know, no matter how dire the subject line may sound.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER open an attachment on an email from an unknown source.

(we hear these cautions at work all the time -- it's known as social engineering - getting you to do something to allow the hacker entrance to your world).

also, and this is just an un-educated guess, don't have your email reader set to auto open and display email content -- Outlook used to do this

delete and ask questions later.

You won't find a virus on your PC if you look because it isn't there,

you still need to check it. any decent hacker would throw a dropper on there just in case they wanted back in or to add you to a botnet. not running AV on it is like trusting the sniff test over a jimmy...

Yeah the email was from my brother. I didn't click on a link or anything. The minute I opened
it the stupid thing grabbed my contact list and sent the same thing to every one of them.
Then I got 20 of those demon mailer things because lots of the Emails were not any good. I can't believe
that they can't be stopped. Seems like it should be breaking some kind of law. Shows you what I know.
I don't open anything from someone I don't know. I know if anyone sends me something and it says Hi Paul
that its the same thing coming back at me again. It got all of their contacts and tried to get me again.

Latest posts

Back