Drop out ID

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You guys are an awse resource when it comed to these bikes and the tons of info you know.
I was reviewing the guide for id and think maybe a threat devoted to just identifying dropouts of major manufacturers could be a simple and helpful thread.
I of course am useless but would enjoy the referance... maybe members could post macros and id manufactures.

Cheers.

I might just do that, I have tons of pics and you can ID most 50's and 60's American bikes by the dropouts, they are like a trademark on most of them. I'll see what I can put together, maybe make it a project for college somehow and get some points.:39:

That would be awsome, i noticed its one of the common identifiers when people post here... heck i can spot a murry drop out now :).
But u di thinknit would be a great resource to referance... it would be cool to have when looking a prodject bikes to buy for sure!

This works best on the forward-facing "post-war" frames, as @Wildcat mentioned by referencing the 50s and 60s. The rearward-facing ends give lots of clues, too...especially in regards to dropstand bosses and their placemet, but it's a whole different set of "rules" as far as that goes. For the post-war stuff, Murrays are probably the easiest, but Westfield/Columbia dropouts are quite distinctive, too.
Hopefully, someone can post a close-up shot, but the Westfield-builts have kind of an "up-and-back" thing going.
201515291914_1.jpg

Your awsome wild... i was think just drop outs would help narrow stuff down to more researchable information. Like a bit of a faster catogorizer that once manufactrue was identified would limit the possibilities.

The drop outs being stamped im sure were reused through productlines, there is no reason to set up tooling at a cost to change the drops.

For me personally i think it would be a more referanceable log. To try and search through frame builds would be overwhelming... to be able to snap a drop out, go take a minute figure out manufacture to know if im on the same page and planet as a seller.

If anyone has clear dropout pics and or line drawings from manuals post them here with frame id info please. I have some drawing and photo skills and could make a simple directory of images in another thread to look up frames.

Latest posts

Back