dropout/axle sizes.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i keep hearing everyone say (type) that all newer 26 cruiser wheels will fit, but i tried to put the wheels off my huffy cranebrook on my 62 middleweight frame and forks and the axle shafts were a bigger diameter and wouldn't fit into the drop outs. anyone else run across this problem?

I have come across this with front forks but not rear dropouts. Newer stuff is almost all 3/8, just use a file or grinder and make em fit.

ive run into this prob. the back should be just fine but the front forks is another deal... i usualy take a grinder and slot my front axle not to harm my og forks or grind the forks just a lil (do recommend the axle though ... for strength issues) idk if this helps ???? hope it does cheers :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and build on!!!!!!!!!!

schertztx said:
I have come across this with front forks but not rear dropouts. Newer stuff is almost all 3/8, just use a file or grinder and make em fit.
very true.... pic would help

a lot of older front forks take 5/16" axles which used to be the standard, nowadays 3/8" is the standard like said before. rear wheel should fit but the original front fork will need filed most likely to put that newer wheel on it.

ok, cool. i started with the front and when it wouldn't fit i didn't go any farther. thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back