Durham, N.C. (my work neighborhood)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Durham, N.C. (home of Duke Basketball). Just some shots from work towards the east, then the west. Oh, we finally got the burrito rideable. My man Tyler took it for the first ride today. Now we gotta get the garbage back on it (like fenders, rear rack, wide whites & stuff).
100_2271.jpg

100_2272.jpg

100_2270.jpg

We will also do a photo tour of Durham on a little warmer day.

Sorry it's been so long. I said over a year ago that I would do a ride around my home town of Durham, N.C. and show you a little more of it. Well, with nearly 60 degrees today after a 3 month cold spell I did it. However, after I got back for some reason about a third of my pictures didn't take for some reason so I guess I'll have to do it again another day. Now if you see something in Durham you like, don't move here. We are overcrowded as it is.
I used a bike that I built for a friend and haven't delivered it yet. Below is the build like if you want to check it out. Thanks

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22306

About 9/10 of a mile down Geer St. from my shop is Kings Hot Dog Stand. This has been closed for years but is about to open up again. I'll tell you why further down.

100_3309.jpg

Because it is right across the street from the ( Durham Bulls Atheletic Park or the D-BAP as they like to call it ) where the movie Bull Durham was filmed back in 1988 starring Kevin Costner.

100_3317.jpg

100_3320.jpg

They just spent $151,000.00 in the restoration of the field and the facilities while also trying to keep it as original as possible. There has been a lot of talk about a sequel to that movie so maybe that's the reason for the restoration of the field and Kings hot dog stand.

100_3314.jpg

100_3312.jpg

I also rode past The North Carolina School of Science & Mathematics and decided to snap this shot. The buildings here started life in the early 1900's as The Watts Hospital where I was born 56 1/2 years ago.

100_3323.jpg

Then made my way by the old original Coka-cola bottling company on Main St. that is now being used as office space. Then I rode by where the old Studebaker dealership used to be.

100_3330.jpg

100_3333.jpg

100_3338.jpg

100_3337.jpg

Right across the street from that is part of the campus for Duke University. This is Washington Duke who donated the land. The Duke family was very wealthy and founded and owned the Duke power Co., funded a lot of the cancer research at Duke Hospital, had ownership in the tobacco industry here, and Sarah Duke manufactured the Duke's Mayonaise. One photo is of a tunnel that goes under the rairoad tracks where Duke students as well as Durham residents are constantly putting new graffiti on it's walls.

100_3324.jpg

100_3327.jpg

Durham started out as a tobacco town with 2 major tobacco companies, Liggett Myers, and The American Tobacco Co.. That is how it became known as Bull Durham and even had cigarettes & tobacco named after it. Over the years and all the negativity about tobacco products causing cancer, and Duke Hospital treating so many people with cancer, the town gradualy transformed to a more positive logo. Durham is now known as The City of Medicine.

100_3339.jpg

100_3348.jpg

100_3335.jpg

100_3344.jpg

100_3340.jpg

And lastly, the New D-BAP that was built about 15-16 years ago and has a deeper field than the old park so it also had to have a larger Durham Bull's famous billboard in the far left field. If a batter hits the bull in left field, it's a home run and both of the bulls eyes light up red and smoke blows out both nostrils, and the batter gets a free steak dinner form one of the older steak houses here in town.

100_3345.jpg

100_3342.jpg

That's all this time . Maybe more later, or later, or later

Back