DX Deluxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a bike I've been wanting to build for a long time. I have been putting it off for to long, but this build off has inspired me to finally get it done. The Deluxe part of the name makes it seem like its gonna be covered in every accessory possible but it's really going to be kinda of the opposite. I want it to be stripped down with only the essentials, but everything is going to be beefed up. I want it too look over engineered and new, but still have the original paint.

So here is what I started with, a beat up frame I got on ebay super cheap. I could probably recover what I spent on the frame by selling the skip tooth chain.

I started cleaning up the frame a while back but never really finished. (Hope this doesn't count as starting early) The original paint is pretty nice, I think it has just the right amount of patina.

Today I finally finished cleaning up the frame and dug out all the parts I have for it to do a little mock up. For a quick break down of parts it's got the sunlit deluxe springer, some 24" wheels off ebay with a three speed shimano rear hub and some felt thick bricks. The bars on it in the mock up are the ones that came with the frame from ebay and the stem is a newer piece from the parts bin at my LBS.

The plan now is to
-clean up the frame even more
-Replace the skip tooth sprocket with a more modern black one
-paint the bars black
-find a cool seat and layback seat post
-build a side mount shifter for the three speed
It's going to be a simple build and now that I'm done with school for the summer it should come together really fast.

Great bike to start with!

Hang on to the sprocket, they don't make 'em anymore.

Rg

Oh yea the sprocket isn't going anywhere. It's a little bent out of shape, I could probably fix it, but if not it will look cool hanging on the wall.

Well I threw it together really fast with some parts I had laying around so I could do some riding this weekend. It looks really cluttered now, so the plan now is to just clean it up and replace the modern pedals and grips with some cooler stuff, and build a shifter instead of the handle bar grip shifter. Also need to change that ugly seat out.

Great work on reviving the old paint. Love the fork, tires, and your plan.
Just do me one favor and lower those bars!!!:D:grin:

Don't forget to put your pin in the BONINE WORLD MAP
http://bit.ly/1nsYqVU
Then go to Additions > Add Marker - Simple

Latest posts

Back