Dyno's Taxi

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post, glad to have come accross some like-minded gear heads.

I found this bike in the trash about 15 years ago. Most of the chrome was shot, however frame, fenders, tires and some other key hardware were still pretty much intact. The paint on the upper tube had some crazing, must have been left in the sun or some period of time, however I like it as it adds a bit of "throwback" to the bike. Glad to have found it when I did as Dyno parts at the time were still easy to come by. My estimate is the bike is a 1996/1997 Glide Deluxe.

Something about this bike brought me back to my youth and the love for two wheeled rollers. At the time, I was still into mountain biking, however never knew the world of customs existed. I began the "resto" almost immediately, cleaning, searching for parts and of course many items not fitting and being returned when possible.

I've never had much time to ride her and she has survived 3 moves with me. It sat in storage again until late this summer when my last six year storage area (free) was converted into an office unit. I almost came close to selling her, however once again "the bug" to tinker took over. I've now added the rear rack, panniers, lights and some other minor bling. I am now researching ways to convert the rear hub to a 3-4 speed, however finding it difficult to find the correct set-up. I've been searching for a vintage Shimano Nexus 4 speed with lever shift, however surmizing they just don't show up anywhere : (

Thanks all for looking!

TheKid2022

Attachments

• IMG_2511.JPEG
    IMG_2511.JPEG
    3.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6607.jpg
    IMG_6607.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
I found one in a pile of frames for 30 bucks in Hawaii when I lived there in 2017. Missing the seat and handlebars but Electra replacement parts were close to the same look. The years of dirt preserved the finish in the Hawaiian sun. I think it was a 97, going by the decals and serial number.
48893_48dcd0f6f88cdd52e5e6c06011b10922.jpg

The whitewalls had the nubs from being original and hardly used, but were dryrotted, so they were changed out with the same style tires. I put it back to original as close as I could.
52846_06edffbc7d5ad36505f68d49097a1c52.jpg

I found it could use 26 x 3 inch tires with no mods so I added 68 spoke wheels and big tires, that's how I rode it until I sold it.
72063_c50b44e8b49bf5e96c851db5b0e919de.jpg

It's my understanding that the original Dynos were made from 95-97, and had decals like ours, not head badges. That's why I think the 97 at the beginning of the serial number is 1997. Just guessing as I haven't found any solid evidence of the serial numbers having a year code.
The apes are a good addition on yours.

I found one in a pile of frames for 30 bucks in Hawaii when I lived there in 2017. Missing the seat and handlebars but Electra replacement parts were close to the same look. The years of dirt preserved the finish in the Hawaiian sun. I think it was a 97, going by the decals and serial number.
View attachment 216189
The whitewalls had the nubs from being original and hardly used, but were dryrotted, so they were changed out with the same style tires. I put it back to original as close as I could.
View attachment 216190

I found it could use 26 x 3 inch tires with no mods so I added 68 spoke wheels and big tires, that's how I rode it until I sold it.
View attachment 216191

It's my understanding that the original Dynos were made from 95-97, and had decals like ours, not head badges. That's why I think the 97 at the beginning of the serial number is 1997. Just guessing as I haven't found any solid evidence of the serial numbers having a year code.
The apes are a good addition on yours.
Wildcat,
Thanks for the response. I just checked the serial # and it starts with 98 so surmizing a 1998, thanks for the logical tip! I'm surprized there is not more of these out there.
TheKid2022

Latest posts

Back