Easy & Cheap Jackshaft

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needed to build a jackshaft for my Air Ride build, so I thought I'd share how I did it here as well. Started with a nice old chrome hub, removed the cassette and using my grinder cut the lockring and removed the stack of gears. I decided to use the 18 tooth ring along side a 16 tooth freewheel (chrome of coz).
Picture004sm.jpg

After carefully lining things up, clamped it with visegrips and using a caliper, rechecked the depth from the teeth to the hub flange. I masked the freewheel thread with several layers of tape to protect from potential welding spatter. Aim the mig directly down into the gap and away from the freewheel thread.
Picture007sm.jpg

About a dozen good spot weld later everything seems solid. Remember to weld a couple, quench with wet rag and repeat until done. Didn't even damage the chrome on the other side.
Picture009sm.jpg

Finished product waiting for other things to be completed
Picture016sm.jpg

Why weld it like this rather than drilling the cog and bolting it to the hub flange?

Why weld it like this rather than drilling the cog and bolting it to the hub flange?

You probably could but it think it's easier and less time comsuming to weld it. I feel the flange side looks cleaner and I don't have to worry about interference between the bolts and the freewheel. It's the first one I've ever made so it's an experiment for me. I suppose you could also substitute a SA hub and have 3 speeds instead.

Latest posts

Back