Ebay? Final value fees on SHIPPING COSTS??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want ot vent! Ebay is going to charge sellers final value fees on the costs of shipping!! Why would they do that! I do not make a single penny on shipping and I loose money on it most times as I do not charge for packing (on bicycles that alone can run $20.00). If you buy on ebay shipping is going to costs you an extra 10%, just so sellers can cover the extra costs of the artificial rate increase. It is not fair to sellers or buyers. I mean ebay can suck but this just makes it so much worse!! :x :x

Blame it on all the sellers that would list a $100. item for .99 and $98. for shipping. That way they were only paying a final value fee on the .99. It does suck for the rest of us but I just chock it up as the "cost of doing Business" there is still NO OTHER place that will get you the money ebay does for the minimal advertising cost.

Does this apply for ebays preset shipping costs too ???

I listed some dvd box sets a couple weeks ago, ended up costing about $10 to ship but ebay says it only costs $3 to ship a dvd so i ended up putting it in a different category to bypass the shipping preset. I dont think it hurt the auction in the least bit but it adds to the confusion and frustration of trying to list something simple. I'm all for being fair, but all the rules and restrictions and nickel and diming is enough to make someone quit ebay altogether. I could complain more but no one is listening :lol:

KZ1000 said:
Blame it on all the sellers that would list a $100. item for .99 and $98. for shipping. That way they were only paying a final value fee on the .99. It does suck for the rest of us but I just chock it up as the "cost of doing Business" there is still NO OTHER place that will get you the money ebay does for the minimal advertising cost.

Well I would say yes except that ebay has a zero tolerance policy for those sellers, and removes those listings and bans those sellers already. And what does this do for buyers? How are they going to like shippoing rates going up 12% overnight? This is flat out imoral, unethical, and just plain wrong. Who it realy hurts are the buyers in catagories like collectables and antiques. MOst of these items already require extra care when shipping. Also because of the sizes of some of these items the shippingis just high to begin with.

Just imagine, I mean who is going to sell you the wheel you need for $10.00 when the Final value fee on the SHIPPIG :x is going to cost them more than the fees to sell the wheel. Although I have to admit it is kind of nice to see ebay stick it to the buyers as well as the sellers this time. Still IMORAL!

Yeah I got tired of Ebay's nickle and dime attitude too, as if they don't make enough money already. And they make it so confusing you can't understand half of it. Why don't they just make a yearly membership fee and then give unlimited posting? Why the insertion fee, final value fee, shipping fee, extra photo fee, extra category fee, idiot's fee, and fee for having over 5 fees in one posting. :roll:

Remember, Meg Whitman (ebay owner) has to pay for her failed effort to win the her election in California. She blew millions of $$$. Now she needs lots of nickels and dimes!! :x Gary

meg doesn't own ebay she was the ceo.and they have done nothing to the shipping gougers.but they sure are making things harder for the buyers,case in point you now have to wait 3 weeks before filing an item not received,the seller can ship whenever they feel like it.I bought a nexus hub a week ago friday, the seller goes out of town as soon as I paid(it was a buy it now)instead of the seller taking care of shipping he leaves it up to some bike shop.and also you have to wait 7 days to leave neutral or negative feedback.

I actually sell furniture on Ebay dirt cheap, so cheap in fact that with the addition of final value fees to the shipping cost, I no longer quote freight shipping. All of the dimensions and weight are listed in the ad, if the buyer want's to arrange their own. But I do have a very wide free delivery range.
To be fair the final value fee rates are greatly reduced so if your shipping cost is equal to or less than the value of your item you will be okay. But on most of the stuff I sell the shipping cost is double or more the purchase price. Hopefully I will get a new job soon and won't have to do so many different side jobs to make enough to enjoy life.
In the meantime I thank God everyday for being able to do as well as I do.

The simple thing is STOP SELLING ON EBAY. eBid is a great auction site that does not charge listing fees, and for a one time fee you can list your auctions totally free of any fees for life.

At present it has 4,000,000+ auctions as many of ebay members have left there after the new insane fvf on postage.

Ebay is just there to make money. I used to sell there many years ago with 100% rating and got scammed several times as a buyer and seller and they never did anything to resolve my claims and catch the crooks. One of the dedbeat buyers continued scamming other sellers and the seller who sold me a computer cd-drive for $100 and never sent it continued selling there. Ebay never suspended anyone or returned my money eventhough I had suffient proof of a scam when I filed a claim. All that eBay wanted is send me to collections for $1.49 fee I refused to pay before closing my account. (They don't do anything about a valid scam claim but only care about payment to them) Ridiculous.

All that eBay wants is money, money, money. For those that sell collectibles and garage sale items to make extra cash, its not worth it to sell on ebay. If you list a book for 1.00 and only have one bid then the postage is $3.50 you loose money, and there are many auctions in that condition. So if eBay claims this new policy is to deter those who overcharge on postage thats a total lie but with their new policy it will have to become a reality. To sell there now you have to charge 1.00 or 2.00 more on postage to survive.

The fees on eBay are a pain but they're totally worth the convenience of zeroing in on small market items. Where else am I going to sell 8 firefighter air tanks for $700? In the winter here in Michigan, there's nothing else to do other than post stuff on eBay at night, haha. The fees are a pain but sometimes what you get from eBay is a price that you can't get elsewhere. It's totally worth it!! :mrgreen:

EBay is a bit of a pain for fees, but I'm listing for free lately. This is the only time I list on there-when there are fee discounts. I calculate exact shipping, or close ot it. I calculate from here to California, that way everybody is covered. I reuse packing supplies and I get them for free thanks to mom's HSN habits. :lol:

If I keep costs down on shipping, then I can keep costs down on my customers. Cheaper shipping always wins.

Ebay fees suck, I hate them but where else can you sell. There is another site called volusion I think where you pay 20 for one year and can sell up to 100 items. Anybody here tried it before?

Latest posts

Back