Electra Ratrod Extended

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

I decided to create a separate topic for the final bits and assembly of my Electra Ratrod bike which I decided to lengthen 18 centimetres.
This was a great tryout in my new welding JIG that I designed. Topic about the JIG and lengthening the frame here:

https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/building-a-welding-jig-first-design-process-and-thoughts.118825/

Right now I decided to 'clean' the welds with an angle grinder. This is a great test to see if the welds have good penetration!
And I am also looking to reposition the rear bracket of the chaincover, since the frame is lengthened.

A little introduction and then the update pictures!

20240808_204245.jpg

Picture above: Cutting and placing it in the jig.

20240907_121729.jpg

Picture above: Ready to clean paint and weld!

1000033069.jpg

Finishing welding job.

1000033070.jpg

Done! Now time to prepare for a powdercoat!

1000033093.jpg

Relocation the rear chaincover bracket since the frame is lengthened.

1000033094.jpg

1000033096.jpg

Bottom bracket serial number.

1000033098.jpg

Work in progress. Looking very good!!

1000033099.jpg

I will round it with flexibele sandpaper, but this looks very good.

1000033100.jpg

Only top tube grinding left. No gaps or spots in the welds except for one little gap. One tap with a brush after paint and its gone.

Last edited:
I can take the frame, fork and chaincover to the coater next week for a powdercoat.
Can't choose all RAL colours, it depends what he has in stock.

I also want to re-print these original stickers since I love the style and lettering:

20240414_075442.jpg

What frame colour would be great combined with these wheels?:
20240906_125144.jpg

1000032630.jpg

1000032631.jpg

Wheels are refurbished!

Regarding the frame/fork colour I am thinking in a more timeless classic direction, since the lengthened frame reminds me of the old motorcycles, just like @Pondo mentioned in the previous topic.

I am also considering to not put fenders on this bike.

Its more like a boardtracker/hotrod/ratrod look then, just how I like me bikes :thumbsup:

A colour example I do like, but its not my bike:
Screenshot_20240629_135341_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
A quick mockup and check before the parts go to the powdercoater.

Matte black is just simply awesome. So no bad choice there.
If the coater has another colour in stock then I'll go with my gut and choose.
Dark red, Army green, Dark blue, Dark brown, are colours I'm open to.

I sanded down the joints. Quality is great, but you can still see it a little bit.

1000033510.jpg

1000033518.jpg

1000033521.jpg

1000033525.jpg

Last edited:
A quick mockup and check before the parts go to the powdercoater.

Matte black is just simply awesome. So no bad choice there.
If the coater has another colour in stock then I'll go with my gut and choose.
Dark red, Army green, Dark blue, Dark brown, are colours I'm open to.

I sanded down the joints. Quality is great, but you can still see it a little bit.

View attachment 280282
View attachment 280283
View attachment 280284
View attachment 280285

this is such a cool build - great tubing/jig work and vision. Love the flat section on the top bar. If you do consider fender(s), maybe a short one on the back wheel and nothing up front? Track racer vibe? While you're taking pictures, take that door handle behind your bike. It may make a good shifter or something......:giggle:

this is such a cool build - great tubing/jig work and vision. Love the flat section on the top bar. If you do consider fender(s), maybe a short one on the back wheel and nothing up front? Track racer vibe? While you're taking pictures, take that door handle behind your bike. It may make a good shifter or something......:giggle:
Appreciate that, thank you. I have been thinking about fenders. Maybe some Ratrod drillium plate :thumbsup: A speedholed version of the 'Conteq Flat Fender'.
Now that you mention the shifter: I left the cable guides on the down tube there on purpose, since the rear wheel has a Nexus 3 hub. I wanted to fabricate a freaky shifter that works with the original Nexus 3 shifter. I tried a shifter underneath the seat... looked great, but didn't work out for me.

Love it! I don’t think you can go wrong with the colors you’re considering. I think it would also look good in satin dark maroon or taupe.
Taupe or earth colours, also very nice!

After work today I intend to drop off the parts at the powdercoater.
I quickly threw in the aluminium cruiser bars I had in mind for this project, since it might be very cool to have the frame, fork, chainguard and bars in one colour!

Can't wait :p

Latest posts

Back